Chapter 2 - Journey from Hell

Five thousand years later, in a traffic jam near London's Heathrow airport...

'Watch out!' Trueth screamed just in time for her driver to hit the brakes and avoid a collision with the boulder-sized taillights of the SUV ahead of them. Cascades of water flooded the windscreen of the tiny car, the wipers were losing their battle. One glance convinced Trueth that her driver was as ill-suited to the elements as their battered transport. Sammie's spectacles were steaming up, and he had his nose glued to the windscreen.

Trueth pushed her thumb under the seat-belt, to keep it off her sweaty T-shirt. Underneath, she must be covered in bruises. 'We'll never make it in time for my flight.'

'Sounds like you wouldn't mind?' Sammie polished first the windscreen, then his spectacles with a dubious looking handkerchief and squinted at her through glasses opaque with grease. She ripped them off his nose and used one of the sani-wipes she had bought for her trip to Egypt.

'I don't, actually. If mum had won two tickets at Bingo instead of one she would have taken my sister. Now she's annoyed because I didn't act all happy at her wonderful gift. She's never noticed I stopped being interested in pyramids, mummies and stuff back when I was a teenager.'

'So why are you going at all, then?' He asked.

Anger rose into her throat like acid lava and her left hand tingled. 'I need to relax!'

The traffic sloshed ahead again at a slow but steady pace. Thankfully, Sammie concentrated on driving and said nothing.

He was one of her new colleagues at the Call-Centre, shy but attached to her like a shadow. She had accepted him into the fringes of her life and was concerned about the closeness he was craving. The trip might solve that problem, not just through physical distance. With her luck she was likely to fall prey to the last crocodile in the whole of Egypt and the unfortunate reptile would then exit post haste due to a severe case of food poisoning once it had finished with her. Things might also get worse. She might lose control. Her stomach clenched and Trueth stared at her treacherous left hand.

It was just an ordinary sweaty hand.

Still, what a stupid idea of hers to embark on this adventure when she had freaked out twice in the recent past; under circumstances that had been a lot less stressful than a journey to a bug-riddled foreign country would be.

'Hey, traffic's getting better, you'll make it,' Sammie announced as he turned off the M25 onto the road leading towards Heathrow.

How she wished he were wrong.

Once Sammie had got her to Departures, hefted her suitcase from her car, and—after some obligatory fumbling and slobbering—had driven off, she learned with dismay that the flight to Cairo was late due to the weather. She spotted the long lines at security and her hopes soared. But they were smashed once more when the announcements board presented her with further slippage of the scheduled departure.