Chapter 13 - Floating

They strolled along the  Corniche, the Nile on their left, trees and traffic to their right

They strolled along the Corniche, the Nile on their left, trees and traffic to their right. The river was no less busy, motor ferries were scuttling across, competing with a fleet of feluccas. Safely ashore, Trueth had to admit those sailing boats were graceful, an exotic flock of butterflies skimming over sunlit waters.

Metjen was steaming ahead, towards the moorings where the hotel ships lay lined up next to each other like rows of sardines.

'The 'Selket' should be somewhere close, keep an eye out,' he said.' If she isn't and they've taken her out of commission, we'll have to fly back. Akil wasn't clear what he wanted to do.'

The last thing she needed was more air travel, so Trueth eagerly scanned the ships that rose like white monsters from the murky depths of the Nile.

'There she is.' Rani-Ra pointed out a boat much smaller and lower than the others, her bow peeping from the end of a row.

'Do I want to know what a Selket is?' Trueth asked as their way led them through the reception areas of the other cruise ships. She counted four varieties of burgundy carpets, two brown ones and a wild patterned orange variation that hurt her eyes.

'It's the name of the goddess of healing and magic,' Ranofer said.

That did not sound so bad. Trueth decided she could relate to that deity. They emerged from the last cruiser and climbed down a rickety ladder to the scuffed deck of the 'Selket'.

Metjen raised his chin at a flag in bleached blue fluttering from the stern, featuring what could only be many legged insect. 'She's often depicted with a scorpion on her head.' He grinned at Trueth.

'Shut up, you. That's far too much information,' she said.

Two nightshirted figures appeared out of a cabin at the front of the ship, waving cheerfully and yelling at the top of their lungs. Trueth had no time to work out why people in this country were so noisy. Instead, she was in for another round of hugging and back-slapping. The exchange with Akil and his captain, Ebo, took a while but Metjen established they could return towards Cairo tomorrow. This gave them a full afternoon in Luxor.

Back on the shore, Rani-Ra excused herself and dashed off in the general direction of the bazaar. A protesting Ranofer sulked in her wake. Metjen had tasked him to protect not so much his sister's health and safety but rather the state of their credit card.

'Right', Metjen said, once more adjusting the sunglasses that kept slipping down his regal nose. 'We'll check out the temple of Karnak. It definitely is one of the 1000 places you ought to see before you die.'

That was typical. Trueth would not have minded retail therapy herself, but as usual nobody asked her. Given that she was here, she might as well visit those famous ruins which had never been on her original agenda. Given her overall lack of touristic enthusiasm, this would not make much of a dent in her remaining lifetime.