Chapter 21 - The Wall

The air was cold, and the scene reminded Metjen of a typical film noir, atypically set in the desert

No embittered detective was slouching in the vicinity. Even the night guards of the Necropolis were conspicuous by their absence, their little guardhouse was dark and empty, none of their vehicles in sight. The guardsmen were supposed to patrol the terrain—but at least one of them should have stayed.

Had they been on duty, Metjen would have to waste his sun-flow on veils. That was something he wanted to avoid, given their plans for tonight: He intended to park his body in the vicinity of the excavation but escort the others in spirit as they went on their quest towards the wall. If whatever objected to his presence did also not tolerate his riding the Trojan horse of Trueth's mind he would have to think of another plan. Whatever it might be.

The bright light of the waxing moon drew long shadows from the stone walls that streaked across their path and down the steps in monochrome bizarreness. Not far behind them rose the mass of Djoser's Pyramid. Metjen stopped in front of the ancient stone partition before the dig. He could feel that other wall, tugging, prodding, trying to burrow into his mind.

He would not allow it.

Metjen installed himself on a blanket with the stones at his back, then sent the others on their way. No need to remind them of the danger, even the twins were not smiling as they got out their torches and followed Trueth towards the excavations.

I'm not sure how long I can stay in your minds. If I call you back, you come. No arguments, have you got that? Metjen projected.

I never thought I would be glad to have you in my head. And we've gone over this various times, so try to relax, Trueth responded.

Metjen grinned briefly and wiped his sweaty palms on his jeans. He rolled his shoulders, trying to get more comfortable as the ancient stones were digging into his back. He swore as his leg muscles cramped. And if he did not manage to concentrate, they might as well abandon the mission.

He took a deep breath and retreated into himself so his ka could seek Trueth's. But a part of his consciousness stayed alert, constantly scanning their surroundings for sounds or sights that should not be there.

Like the scraping that resonated from the far side of the excavations. There's somebody in the eastern corridor!

Seeing through another person's eyes made him dizzy, it felt as if he was riding an invisible camel through an immaterial storm. The unseen forces were making matters worse. He perceived the team as it moved through the underground passage into the courtyard. Trueth was humming under her breath.

Stop that, it annoys me, Metjen projected.

It's from 'Aida', where she dies in Radames's arms... .

That's even more irritating, stop it at once.

The group switched off the flashlights and listened.