Chapter 28 - Ghosts and Cobras

Metjen pushed himself off the roughly plastered wall

Metjen pushed himself off the roughly plastered wall. 'The question is, whether to believe Iseret?'

Trueth wrapped her arms around herself, even if it was not frosty in Iseret's chamber. 'I do. I'm not sure though, whether she told us all she knows.'

Metjen scoffed. 'I'm sure she didn't. But I'm equally sure she needs us. So we are halfway safe, I dare say. But if anybody would prefer to stay behind, I won't blame you.'

Rani-Ra waggled a finger in his face. 'Nice try, bro. I'm a Guardian too. I'm coming. Especially after seeing these...visions.'

'Lord, we will not leave you,' the Servants chorused. Eje pushed out his chest. It still appeared to be rather scrawny. 'We will follow in Pharaoh's footsteps.'

'Sandals,' Trueth said. 'I'm still concerned about those demons. I would rather not like to meet them.'

Metjen did not either. 'Iseret said they have to be summoned, and she's guarding things. I think the buggers haven't arrived yet.'

'What was it with these waters?' Rani-Ra said. 'Did they all plunge into the Nile? Why would they do that?'

'If the leaders of Kemet shifted their people complete with environment into another world it must have been one hell of a bang. Loads of fallout I should guess,' Trueth said.

Rani-Ra looked pensive. 'Good point. But who was that woman? The one who looked like mother?'

Trueth shrugged. 'No idea, but the similarity is striking.' She snapped her fingers. 'Could have been Amasis?'

'Iseret must have been leading those of the warriors who were priests,' Eje said, his voice cracking with emotion.

Things were getting out of hand.

'Enough of this debate!' Metjen shouted, his voice reverberating off the walls. Great, now he sounded like their former high priestess, maybe he needed to take it easy on the levitation front.

Metjen stored that thought for later and took a deep breath. 'Sorry folks, but we should explore, instead of talking. But I'll go first. And Rani-Ra?'

'Yes?'

'I'll have that ring.'

His sister stared at him.

'Please,' he added as an afterthought.

'No, you don't,' Rani-Ra said. 'I'm a woman, you're not. I too can pass for Amasis and that might help to fool a few monsters. So I keep our ring.'

With this, she marched through the opening and Metjen had to follow or risk losing her. They clustered at the top of the second shaft. Metjen was ready to take the first step when Trueth zapped a blue bolt into the gloom below.

He teetered, propelled his arms to prevent himself from plummeting and regained balance with an effort.

Trueth scratched her chin. 'Mm, was worth a try. Sorry, about that.'