Between Two Worlds

''Don't tell me that this is another -  ' We must live according to our ideals''- Lecture of yours Kunikida- Kun''

Kunikida Gritted his teeth, sending a death glare to Dazai . However pure bliss was the only way to describe reaction on Dazai's face.

Ranpo kept snoring as he always did. Not caring about a single soul around him as he was the oldest yokai among them.

Yosano Akiko was also reading a scroll about medical plants as Tanizaki siblings kept minding their own business.

''We are in the middle of a war!!! The humans are blaming the yokai for the sudden decrease of harvest.'' Kunikida yelled at them. ''Then there was a rogue who tried to hunt a human which happened to a senior yokai''

''A Tengu?'' Dazai asked wondering if it was his student Akutagawa.

''No...It's a water spirit but you should keep your eyes on your blood craving student-Akutagawa.'' Kunikida frowned at Dazai.

'''If  a war is coming...''  Yosano rested her chin on her right hand elegantly, looking like she was deep in thought...''there wont be any shortage of fresh wounds...'' A creepy grin rested on her lips as she finished her sentence.

''Uhem'' Kunikida cleared his throat as he tried his best not to make eye contact with the sadistic healer.

''So that's why the kids can see us...'' Ranpo who'd been pretending to be asleep joined to the conversation.

''What kids?'' Yosano tilted her head.

''The kids we found inside the forest. Didn't Dazai tell you?''  Ranpo answered his green eyes looking duller than usual.

''You found human kids and they can see us? Oi! Dazai why didn't you tell me this earlier?''

' Cause you didn't ask.' Dazai replied halfheartedly.

' As if It's an____'

Kunikida was cut off by Ranpo's serious tone. ' The humans have found a way to weaken the barrier between our worlds. The mist no longer bother them. They are using dark arts''

''May be they are trying to be...like befriend with us by weakening the mist?'' Junichiro asked and got nervous when everyone's eyes focused on him.

''No...the barrier kept separating us for a reason.''  Ranpo said. '' They are obviously declaring war against us''

************************************

Poor Akutagawa had too much bonding time with the kids. When Dazai came back the tengu was exhausted to the point he didn't even realized his mentor was standing in front of him. Dazai looked at the kids who were trying put a crown of flowers around Akuthagawa's head

Dazai couldn't help but laugh...But unbeknownst to them a dark fire bloomed in the heart of the forest causing the once beautiful world crumble ...

The after that day went just fine...The day after that day went fine too but then...

"As the president of the Kitsune clan, I must admit that keeping human kids are not admissible Dazai-kun.'' Mori Ougai answered as Elise; the young girl tried to play with the kids.

''But Mori-san didn't you see how humans in the orphanage treat them? ''Dazai protested though he knew arguing with Mori won't present him anything good. Mori was once a yokai who was merely a healer but he rose in his ranks to the leader of the kitsune clan. The answer for how he did so was only known by Dazai for he was the only witness of former leader's assassination.

''It's how they treat to those who are forgotten and Abandoned .The word ''abandoned'' hung in the air for a long time as both parties remained silent. The fire crackled as the cold wind rushed, passing them ,letting the rotten leaves embrace the ground. 

The wind smelled of blood, Hunger and tears.

''Elise Chan also seemed to be upset about my decision....I must say'' Ougai broke the unbearable silence after a few moment.

-As if that fiend has a heart- Thought Dazai as his claws dug deeper into his own palm.

Kids will be gone soon to the hands of the wicked again. What were you thinking Dazai? Humans will be humans. They aren't even supposed to see us.

''Anything I would never want to lose is always lost. It is a given that everything that is worth wanting will be lost the moment I obtain it...'' Thought Dazai as he sighed glaring at the night sky. 

*********

Humans kept invading yokai world. Last week more than 3 yokai were hunted down by humans for no reason. Yokai tolerated the humans as they knew a war would only bring more unwanted casualties. 

However the current situation didn't stop Dazai from visiting the kids. He sneak up to them at the same time when the evening decided to meet night. He managed to slip past to the orphanage from his fox form. Atsushi has now made a new friend. She was a girl named Kyouka- a long black haired girl with a petite form. She was quite like a stone statue and only spoke when needed. Dazai got to know she loved bunnies as she always carried a doll of a rabbit with her. She loved dazai's tails as she thought they were made out of cotton candy. Chuuya tried to write a haiku about hats and failed miserably. 

Dazai didn't care about the war going on between the two worlds.

***************

''Will he get in trouble Odasaku ? The humans kill  anything  that is yokai''   Ango asked from Odasaku for the millionth time.

Odasaku didn't reply which made Ango irritated.

''Sakunosuke Oda Don't you care about Dazai kun?''

''I do'' Odasaku answered.

''Then why don't we stop him from visiting them?''

''Isn't it obvious?'' Odasaku inquired.

''What?''

'' Isn't it obvious that he's happy? Why would we stop him. He's a nine tailed Kitsune. Nothing will happen Ango. May be you are overworking again..''

Ango didn't utter a word for he also realized that Dazai was indeed- looked genuinely happy...

Long summers and long winters.

Wind blew as the gloomy rain whined

For the mind that is already tainted

The lies of fireflies may sound like truth

Never come back to the forest of snow

The tainted past too be gone

As I wander...

To see and to be seen...

A/N :

I made an attempt to write something like a poem. Yeah it's kinda inspired by Nakahara Chuuya sensei's poems.

NivHana didn't proofread as usual. Nivhana is talking in third person because Nivhana is sleep deprived for days.