Taylor's Birthday

Joe took a critical look at the cake. When he ordered it last night it looked somehow better. The cake had "Happy Birthday Taylor" written all over it. Joe took the coffee off the stove and poured it into cups. He glanced at his watch; in five minutes Taylor's alarm clock would ring and she'd come in here sleepily rubbing her eyes. Joe rubbed his hands; he was nervous about something; he wanted this day to be special. The alarm clock rang and he heard Taylor's voice, hoarse from sleep, "Good morning, Joe, even though I don't see you here". She came out to him in her pajamas, and he smiled at her and said, "Good morning, birthday girl"
-Oh, Joe, what a beautiful cake-Taylor said.
- I'm glad you like it. Are you going to blow out the candles right now?
- Yeah, go ahead. Does your coffee smell so good?
Joe slapped himself on the forehead.
- Right. I forgot about it.
He handed Taylor a cup of hot coffee while he lit the candles on the cake. By the time he finished, Taylor had finished her coffee. He brought the cake closer to her and began to sing, "happy birthday to you, happy birthday Taylor!" Taylor laughed, and kissed him, though she practically burned herself at this point, but it didn't matter. Taylor took in as much air as she could and blew out the candles. Joe clapped his hands, Taylor handed him a plate and he cut her a piece of cake.
- Hold on a second-Taylor turned to him and walked out of the kitchen. When she returned, she had a camera in her hand. She took a picture of Joe and the cake and then tasted the cake.
- Mmmm, how delicious! This is definitely one of the tastiest cakes I've had for my birthday.
When she finished eating Joe came closer to her and said:
- And now let me give you one of my gifts.
He handed her a green box with "Tiffany & Co." written on it. Taylor opened it and saw a small round silver pendant with a "J" on it. She carefully pulled it out of the box, and Joe clasped it around her neck.
- I'll wear it as often as I can. Thank you for such a wonderful gift.
Joe kissed her and she ran her hands through his hair. But pulled away from him and asked in surprise:
- Is it snowing?
Joe looked out the window.
- ha ha, really! The first snow of the year. Just in time for your birthday.
- I hope it falls enough for me to throw snowballs at you.
- Me? I'll have you in a snowdrift before you can touch the snow.
- Don't be so cocky, Joseph. You and I will see who wins.
- We'll see, we'll see.
He laughed and pulled her closer to him. He ran his hand through her long hair, a little tangled from sleep. Taylor ran her fingers down his cheek and neck.
- I love you.
- And I love you.
There's no telling how much longer they would have stood there, but they were interrupted by Taylor's phone ringing. And so it was halfway through the day. Taylor was constantly talking to someone, or answering messages. Then her parents and brother arrived. It was still snowing, and there was already a thick layer of white blanket outside. Taylor, Austin, and Joe went outside, and just as Joe came out a snowball hit him in the face. He wiped the snow off his face and saw Taylor laughing. He smirked and started to walk closer to her and then he fell her into a snow pile. He tucked a loose strand of hair into her hat and kissed her frozen lips. But then Austin's snowballs flew at him and Taylor. They spent the next twenty minutes running around the yard, having snowball fights. And then they started making a snowman. Taylor even brought an old scarf for him. And then they went into the house, frozen and happy. In the evening Taylor's friends arrived and they all had a big holiday dinner. Some friends even stayed the night, so Taylor baked gingerbread with them, because why not?