Part 1 - A Partridge in a Pear Tree

Grinch POV

The most wonderful time of year was quickly approaching, bells ringing from churches and snowflakes floating delicately in the wind. Children giggled and played with one another, having snowball fights and staying warm together, while adults sipped warm hot chocolate next to crackling fireplaces. Joy was spreading all throughout Whoville, and it was impossible not to partake in this contagious spread of cheer. All except for one man; the Grinch.

He was of tall stature, six feet and two inches of utter dejection. An odd creature; he was bright olive green, furry, pot-bellied, and had cat-like features adorning his face. For the past 53 years, he had lived on a cliffside, Mt. Crumpet, with his dog Max, overlooking Whoville and all of it's sickly sweet festivity. The Grinch despised Christmas, along with everything joyous and jolly, he hated all the laughter and the happiness. He particularly loathed the singing of Christmas carols, ringing out throughout the quaint town every holiday season.

Sadly, he had to venture down his cliffside on this early Saturday morning, as he'd run out of most food in his house. Even Max had run out of treats, and he wasn't having it. Begrudgingly, he trudged his way out of his home, taking nothing but a fabric grocery bag (save the turtles) and his keys. Getting into his Bugatti La Voiture Noire (valued at 18.7 million dollars), he sighed and started the ignition. Every time he went down to Whoville it wasn't consensual, only ever journeying down the mountain whenever groceries ran low. He pulled out of his driveway and down the mountain, dreading the outing to come.

Once he'd gotten all the way down, he drove into his nearest unnamed grocery store and got out of the car, stopping only to pull out (I could never) a rickety shopping cart. He walked along the parking lot, cringing every time a squeak escaped his cart. As he made his way to the entrance, he took his time to glare intensely at every single Who who or entered the store, a strong dark aura emitting off of him (guys it's not his fault he's a Scorpio). On the contrary, they all took their time to widely smile back, eyes forming a crescent moon shape and dimpled cheeks glowing in a rosy fashion. Groaning, he slogged his way through the automatic door and entered the large building, almost bursting with decorations; wreaths, lights, and mistletoe decorating the interior. The interior was very crowded (social distancing though!!!), and people everywhere were smiling as they always did in Whoville. The sheer sight of it made him nauseous.

He picked out the dog treats Max liked and made a quick stop at the instant-food section. After loading his cart up with dozens and dozens of cups of instant ramen, he headed to the checkout aisle, sick of all the Whos walking around with their stupid happy smiles and their stupid happy lives. It all made him sick, and he was desperate to get out. He made his way to the self-checkout stations, but all of them were out of order, aside from one; but it had a mother holding a crying baby and he didn't want to be the one to deal with that. He reluctantly made his way to the only open checkout station, next to which there was a young Who ready to take his items and check them out. They were bright and animated, almost bursting with liveliness when he walked up to them.

"Hello, sir! How may I help you?" They asked, grinning widely and tapping their feet. The Grinch did not respond. Instead, he threw his items on the checkout counter and looked up menacingly. This set the Who right to work, scanning all the items and putting them away neatly into the grocery bag that he had also thrown to them. Once this was done, they looked up.

"Have a nice day and a Merry Christmas!" They exclaimed, dimples visible. To this, the Grinch said nothing, turning around and gritting his teeth as he left without a word. He had had enough of these imbeciles, these Christmas-obsessed fuckfaces.

Misanthropic and loathing of the festive holiday, he made a drastic decision. He was going to do away with Christmas, for once and for all.