Part 10 - Ten Lords a-leaping

Santa POV

Many years came and went, and every Christmas, the Grinch and Santa would meet. It was almost like their little tradition, and shockingly enough, the Grinch was on the nice list every single year. He wasn't sure how this streak had kept going, but every year their meetings got longer and longer. Yes, Santa had to rush to deliver the rest of the presents, but he'd rescheduled when he would hit Whoville over the years, making sure it was the very last location he'd go to. He would deliver presents for all the Who's, and spend the rest of the night talking and laughing with the Grinch. There was lots of petty banter every year, and every morning when the sun would rise, he'd leave. Both of them awaited the next year with excitement, wondering when the next time they'd be able to see each other would arrive. At one point, around the fifth year of this tradition, Santa started sending letters, as his job didn't permit him to visit during the year. The Grinch would respond enthusiastically, a new zeal taking over whenever he'd receive a letter.

Yet, Santa had mixed feelings.

He had started to get excited every time the Grinch would send him a letter, not the way he got excited when an elf would send him a message about the toy factory. Not the way the gingerbread men would send him letters about their poor housing plans, not even the way his wife, Mrs. Claus, would send him letters about duties they needed to fulfill by the time the next Christmas rolled around.

Over the years, his heart started to beat whenever he thought of the fuzzy green man with whom he'd shared many conversations, he started to daydream more and more about him. He was constantly thinking about what he may have been doing, or maybe, how he thought of him. Sometimes, he'd think about what would happen if, maybe one meeting, they kissed.

If he was being completely honest? His feelings for Mrs. Claus had faded.

He wasn't sure if he ever loved her at all, now that he thought about it. He never felt the same way about her that he felt about the Grinch, that was for sure. She never made him nervous, she made him feel comforted. She never sent sparks flying through his body, she did nothing of the sort. He never felt the overwhelming urge to kiss her, to hold her, and shower her with unyielding love.

Recently, he'd been having more arguments with Mrs. Claus. At this point, it was all he could remember; 'recently' in their vocabulary was the last 100 years. She didn't give him that light and airy feeling, like he was floating on clouds.

No matter how many times Santa talked to the Grinch, he never felt normal inside. At this point, it was undeniable.

He was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with the Grinch. (BELLA SWAN WHOOO)

It wasn't as simple as he thought though, definitely not. For one, the Grinch was in love with another. He was sure of it.

Santa hadn't been completely truthful with the Grinch. On their second meeting, the first time the Grinch was on the nice list, he had known exactly why he was there, instead of not there at all.

The Grinch had fallen in love.

Santa was not sure why this put the Grinch on the nice list, but every time someone was put on, a reason was next to it. For the Grinch, all it stated was three simple words, "I love you". He didn't at all care for this information the first time he saw it, but now, it meant the world to him.

He felt extremely guilty about it all. Even if the Grinch could never love him back, he couldn't keep stringing Mrs. Claus along. Even if they'd been arguing in the last couple of years, she still didn't deserve to love a man who didn't love her back. His heart was taken by another, another who made him feel a completely different way.

He didn't love Mrs. Claus, he realized, he loved the Grinch.