Part 11 - Eleven Pipers Piping

Santa POV

Santa was going to do it. He was going to divorce Mrs. Claus.

It sounded like a drastic decision, but he had been contemplating this for a while. He didn't want to lead her on, that would be very unfair of him. He just wanted to see her happy and successful, be it with him or without. He'd formed a loose plan on how he wanted to break the news to her, but nothing was set in stone.

It was the day after Christmas when he decided to tell her, just a day after he last met the Grinch. Santa's heart was taken by him, he was his. Santa and Mrs. Claus had been extremely distant recently as it was, they shared separate houses and at this point were purely coworkers. He had to take his reindeer to the other side of his North Pole base to even get to talk to her. He had woken up fairly early to break the news, making sure to take great precautions.

Walking up to her house, he hesitated. What if she didn't take the news well? As much as he loved her (platonically), what if HE didn't take the news well? They had been in a relationship for hundreds of years, this was a big change for the both of them. Pushing all these thoughts out of his mind, he rapped on the door three times.

The sound of a lock being undone was heard, and slowly the door creaked open, Mrs. Claus standing in the entryway. Santa began to panic once again, desperately trying to calm himself.

"May I come in?" He inquired nervously.

"Of course, Santa." She didn't seem enthusiastic to see him at all, a result of the two of them getting somewhat tired of each other after all these years. He sat down on the couch, a second home to him. Although he didn't get to see her all that often, the visits racked up after a few hundred years of being together. What he was going to do had just hit him, once again he was having second thoughts. Something in him kept prompting him to speak, so he did.

"I think we should get a divorce," stated Santa.

"W-What?" Mrs. Claus let out, shocked. She didn't seem sad, just extremely confused. He knew how big a change this would be for the both of them, he wasn't surprised she felt this way.

"Neither of us are happy in this relationship," he reminded. "There's no use staying in this relationship for convenience. I have enough money in order to settle out the legalities, but personally, I don't find any benefit in staying with you." He stayed firm in his stance, trying not to be swayed by his past feelings for her, if they even were existent. "I love another, and I believe it would be beneficial for you to move on and find another relationship as well." As a surprise to Santa, Mrs. Claus did not seem sad at all from this statement. In contrast, she seemed stoic.

"I see, Santa. If this is how you truly feel, I respect your decision. I have not gained anything out of this relationship either, so I also believe it's time we part ways. I look forward to working with you as a coworker, have a nice day." Mrs. Claus had always been the levelheaded one out of the two of them, and her maturity came as a shock to him.

"Thank you, Jessica." He stood up, kissed her on the cheek, and walked outside. As he boarded his reindeer, he started to shed tears. He wasn't sad, just melancholy. He'd been married to her for upwards of 800 years, that was a difference that didn't just go away easily.

Now, he was free to love whoever he wanted. Unfortunately for him, the one he loved did not love him back. Santa hoped the Grinch found true love, one day.