Chapter 9

Punz walked in the forest, aimlessly. He didn’t have the force to run anymore (even if the idea made him chuckle b ecause it was kind of useless).

Dammit. Dammit.

He had no idea Bad wasn’t under those rules. Thinking about it made his head spin. Or maybe it was the loss of blood? He checked his arm, that re-opened during his chase and the fight with the teacher. The blood on his s hirt was also… Fresh? But Dream’ s blood tainted it a while ago, didn’t he? Should’ve dried off.

He lifted the cloth to check- oh. That’s where the blood loss was coming from.

He had a hole in his stomach. Somehow, Bad managed to pierce it with his shadows from behind, and he didn’t even notice. He was numb. What was pain again?

He kept walking. Despite the blood loss. Despite the fact that he could feel something inside of him detaching itself, and hearing it fall on the ground, behind him. He didn’t look back to check.

He sighed.

He always knew dying would suck.

-------------------------------

Sam got out of the college as soon as he learned Punz was wandering in the woods, bringing Antfrost with him in case he was still armed. They took both their own weapons; trident for the green hybrid, fencing sword for the cat.

The forest was one of the biggest in the city. Trees, pines, some of the tallest most of them had ever seen. Vines, as well, devouring the forest, strangling the plants and trunks on their way. Wisterias, they were called. Although those tended to be… a bit more living then usual.

“A gift from Her”, had said Philza when the college first opened. No one knew who Her was, and frankly he really didn’t want to know.

Regardless, this place was scaring the shit out of him. He wasn’t the only one though; he could see from the corner of his eye how Ant had his ears dropped down and tail wagging at every side, glancing all around in case there would be a sudden movement.

Sam took a deep breath to relax a bit, but stopped in the middle of it.

Blood.

He raised his hand so his friend would stop at the same time as him, sniffing the air. Sam looked down and noticed the trail of red liquid on the floor, still shining on the green grass at the pale moonlight’s light, despite the amount of time between Bad’s message and them getting here.

“How badly do you think Bad hurt him?” he heard Ant ask.

He crouched down, touching the substance by his finger, and bringing under his nose. It was definitely a bit old. Meaning “Pretty bad, if in such a long time the blood looks fresh. He must’ve lost a lot.”

“… You think he’s still alive?”

Sam got up and looked ahead, noticing the long trail that didn’t seem to end and just got deeper in the forest, disappearing in the shadows ahead.

“It’d be a miracle if he was.”

They continued to walk until they got to a point where organs where starting to appear. Ant brought a hand in front of his mouth, not wanting to throw up.