Chapter 7 - Coward

I turn to look at Zira who turns to look at me with horror, frozen to the spot with her eyes wide as the full moon but there is no time we have to act fast it sounded close even hearing it sounds is close than you should be with it.

I shut the window making a very loud noise that I shouldn't have made but it's too late anyway I grab Zira by the arm who is still frozen into place I do not want her to have a panic attack not right now "hey hey" I try in a soothing voice, I shake her a bit to get her back into what's happening now "don't worry it's okay that thing is really far away and we're in the attic it can't reach us" I say in one breath trying hard not to freak out myself.

She still looks horrified but her breathing slows a bit which is a good sign I take her back to the place she was lying down and sit her down so she her back is against the wall "it's okay Zira don't freak out on me okay? Everything is alright" but she still isn't coming back she's gone too far into her memories "HEY SNAP OUT OF IT" I raised my voice to take her out of the dreadful memories of her losing her brother to one of those .

She looks at me, back from the rabbit hole of nightmare she went into and a tear falls down of her eyes and soon she starts to cry even harder than when she cried earlier today. I try to comfort her it's not really a good thing to have a mental breakdown right now we might have to run or fight in a little bit tonight but if she gets depressed now she won't run nor fight she'll want to die.

I pray to god that thing doesn't find us it won't be able to smell us out in this dusty attic in this really old and smelly house but if it gets close enough there could be a chance of it finding us and I remember the first time seeing a Reaper chasing a man back at the camp we were staying which was like the fourth and it was out last camp but we didn't know that it would be our last camp, after escaping hoards of Civilians with at least 30 other people and 20 military personal our camp was in a hotel which looked like it was a very prestigious hotel once, they barricaded all the entrances and spread out soldiers as much as they could and the 30 teenagers in there we were also there with Zira's brother Zayn who was a little younger than the both of us. I sit next to Zira while she cries there is no way to stop this so I just think about the last time I saw Zayn and Zira together.

I look around in panic to find a way to get out of this place more than half of the people are dead/ becoming undead and being eaten I grab the bat around myself tighter the officer with us shoots every single Civilian that tries to come towards us she is looking for a way out of this place and I look at Zira and Zayn who are standing near us looking around ready to run before anything comes near them the place is burning after the grenades were thrown to take care of the bigger part of the horde but got our shelters on fire and the ones who were with us turning into Civilians we have to get out of this place and we were running out of time and the soldier in front of us starts talking into her radio and after a some sentences have been passed and received she yelled out "EVERYBODY GET TO THE PARKING LOT!" we were in what seemed to be an abandoned amusement park and we were in like the very middle we moved quickly trying to evade and attack anything coming towards us.

Two other teenagers saw us and started running towards us and started running with us and after we killed what seemed to be the hundredth Civilian which came towards us and we made it to the bus that was waiting a lot of other teenagers were getting on with panic and as they were about to close the door the soldier with us yelled "WAIT" and the soldier at the door stopped to close the door and started to motion for us to come faster we ran as fast as we could the heat of the fire slowly decreasing and the screams of the once we left and the screeches of what they are becoming fading as we ran closer and closer to the bus which seemed like heaven for us and as we were 10 feet near the bus we didn't slow down.

The face of the soldier in the bus went from impatient to worrying and when I turn to the soldier who was going in front of us to ask her what's wrong.

BOOM something fast grounds her and it was so fast we only saw a red figure coming towards her and when we look to her she is fighting off a bloody Reaper and in the moment of panic we started running towards the bus faster than ever fear pushing is and the soldier after seeing what's happening yelled "REAPER" and what seemed to hundred of guns come out of the windows and doors of the bus and starts bursting we make it to the bus thankfully before anyone getting shot and once we got in the bus the soldier closes the door and screams "GO GO" and even before we sit the bus starts to move and we quickly go to the back seats and Zira and Zayn sit together at the corner and I sit besides Zira in the middle of the long seat and a girl  in hoodie who I don't know is sitting beside me I turn around and look through the back window of the bust to see that the Reaper is on the ground it's long thin body with torn dress and blood like red skin all on the ground clear to see in the light of the burning amusement park and besides the soldier we were with is lying on the ground who saved us for that long is dead not.

As I was about to turn around I see the body of the soldier twitch a bit and before I could get up to see clearer the bus had moved far from the park and we were on our way to another place to call home.

   Zira besides me is crying and Zayn besides her is just looking out the window and I try to relax and forget about everything and just be free for a little while but I can't all the death around me is making me feel sick and thinking about the Reaper eating the soldier while I ran cowardly is making me hate myself but then I remember that I am a coward I couldn't save the love of my life than how could I be brave how can I be courageous when I was the one who left his lover because of fear.