Dara

I am alone as I walk through the woods, ducking under branches and climbing over fallen trees. The world is quiet. Too quiet. It's as if someone paid the birds to leave, for the frogs and crickets to hush for the night, and for the wind to remain just a whisper.

There's an itch in the back of my mind. Something isn't right. What am I doing here? Where is Geralt?

"Come here, child" a female raspy voice sounds around me. Great. Just what I need, some creepy lady calling for me.

I roll my eyes, wondering where she even wants me to go. She is going to have to be more specific about where 'here' is because there are only trees in all directions I see.

Except it's not, because when I turn around, facing the way I had originally come from, there's a path now.

I frown as I make my way to the path. This wasn't here a moment ago.

I have a feeling she wants me to go on that path, but there's something that's stopping me. "Where's Geralt?"

"Come to me," she says again, ignoring my question.

Geralt wouldn't leave me alone in the woods. I know this. I turn away from the path and start searching for his brooding form.

After a few minutes of wandering, I hear a cry of pain to my right. It doesn't sound like Geralt. No, this is coming from a child. I run in that direction anyway, because someone needs my help. Coming closer, I see a shape on the ground, twitching.

I realize it's a boy. A few steps later I identify him- it's Dara, the elf that had helped me escape Cintra, who followed me out of Brokilon forest, who fought against the doppler for me. His clothing is doused in red.

"Dara!" I yell as I get closer.

He sees me and lifts a hand, palm forward to me. "No, Ciri, don't come closer!"

"Dara, it's just me." I near him slowly, lifting my hands up to show him I am not armed.

"I don't want you here!" He screams, "You've brought me enough trouble as it is!"

"Dara, I'm sorry. I just want to help."

"No! No! Get away from me!" He yells hysterically. I see his wound now. Someone had stabbed him in the stomach, and he is bleeding out. I need to put pressure on the wound.

Despite his protests, I kneel next to him, ripping off my dark green cloak and pressing it to his stomach. The snow soaks into my dress where my knees press into the ground.

"Please," Dara begs, "Please, leave me. Leave me alone."

"I'm sorry, Dara, I really am. I never meant to bring death and terror with me. I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry."

I think I've finally calmed him down once he stops yelling, but when I look up from the wound to his face, I see his glazed eyes, wide open in fear, staring at the sky.

I swallow back the lump in my throat as a tear trails down my cheek. "No, Dara. You can't die. No!"

I clutch the dark green cloak.

Dark green cloak.

My cloak.

Geralt gave me this. I glance around the forest. Where is Geralt?

Geralt isn't here. How did I get here?

Dara is still staring up at the sky when my attention returns to him.

Why is Dara here? He wouldn't be in Kaedwen. He wouldn't go North; it's too cold here to survive for long.

This is a dream, I come to the realization. Another nightmare. I jump to my feet. I don't want to be here, get me out of here.