The Warg

I look myself up and down, a small smile present on my face. Vesemir has given me new clothes that will allow me to move more freely. It consists of trousers, a blue long shirt, and a leather vest that wraps around my chest and ends at the bottom of my torso. He also has given me these leather wrist straps that will help with chafing during training.

It's more than just about moving freely, though, for me. Without the dress and in these new clothes, I feel like I belong here, and that I'm not a sheltered, pretentious princess. I am ready to learn.

After breakfast, the training begins, and it starts with running to build up my stamina.

Geralt gives me instructions. "Run around the Killer until I come fetch you."

The Killer is a path that encircles the mountain. Geralt had told me earlier that this was where he and the other Witchers training their running speed and breathing technique.

While my leg has been healing well, running might harm the process. The last thing I want to be seen as, though, is a whiner, so I hold my tongue and nod. 

Before he lets me go, he grabs my wrist and ensures eye contact before he speaks. "If for any reason you need a break, tell me."

"Okay," I say. He holds me for a second longer, and then lets me go, turning to his swords.

I take off, running into the woods. I used to be terrible at running, but once that's all you do, you become fairly good at it. Though, the pain that jolts my leg at every step is a reminder that I do need to learn to pay more attention to the ground when running in heavily forested areas. 

I manage fine for the first thirty minutes- my breathing steady and the pain of my leg blending in to the point I barely feel it any more. I let my mind roam as I become comfortable with my run, almost enjoying it. 

At breakfast today, everyone was back to their usual selves, though Coen seemed more open than usual and much less stare-you-to-death-y. I think he's starting to revert back to how he used to be, before finding out about me. Eskel and Lambert, on their part, like to tease me, but I am surprised that I don't mind it. It makes me feel normal, as if we are one, big, screwed-up family. 

I'm so deep in my thoughts, I don't immediately recognize the icy feeling building in my chest until it strengthens and becomes all I feel. 

I come to a stop so abruptly, I tumble off my feet and have to grab a nearby tree to prevent me from falling down.

That feeling- the same feeling that I got when the wyvern started attacking us- is raging in me right now. The back of my neck starts tingling almost painfully as the distance between me and whatever beast is after me shortens. I immediately turn on my heel and scramble in the direction of Kaer Morhen.

That's when I hear a howl behind me.

"Shit!" I curse as I jump over branches that are out to get me. I don't know if I will make it. Whatever creature this is, it's moving faster than me. I can feel the pull towards it get stronger and stronger. I can only hope the heads-up from the monster detector inside me will be enough to save me. 

Despite having run for half-an-hour, the adrenaline pumping in me fuels my steps, giving me extra speed and energy that I was running low on. I dodge branches, swing around trees that find themselves in my way, and push my body off of the rocks and snow. I consider climbing up a tree to get away from the creature before deciding it's too risky. I have a better chance of survival by finding one of the Witchers. 

"Geralt!" I yell once I get closer to the gate of Kaer Morhen, heaving, "Monster!" The beast is so close, I can hear it behind me, crunching over the snow and hitting the branches I dodged straight-on.