Kaer Morhen

As Geralt leads the horse through the forest, I remember the way he jumped off the tree, hacking off the wyvern's head with one strike.

How easy it would be for him to kill me.

But why would he?

Why wouldn't he? The criticizing voice inside me asks. You're just a burden anyways. A responsibility he didn't want and didn't ask for. Why else would he wait so long to come take you? Why do you think he never showed up once before in your life? He might as well cut you out of his life- permanently.

"You've been quiet," the Witcher notes as he leads Roach and I through the forest. My gaze is on the reins in my hands as I curl it around my fingers and uncurl it over and over again. "What is bothering you?"

It concerns me that it only took him a week to read me. 

Curling the leather around my fingers again, I lie, "Nothing."

He stops walking and turns around, facing me. I glance at his face briefly, seeing him study me, and then I return my focus back to the reins.

There's a moment of silence before he says, "Tell me what's bothering you." I can tell he is serious. He truly wants to know. 

I sigh, letting go of the leather. "Why- why did you never come check on me? I mean, before the attack on Cintra."

I dare a glimpse at his face. It softens just for a second before it reverts back to his usual stoic look. He turns around and begins walking, but at a slower pace than before. "At that time, I didn't believe in fate. In destiny. It took me some time to learn the values of some... things. I was wrong for not being there for you."

"What changed you?" I ask, frowning.

"Not what. Who- Yennefer of Vengerberg." There's that name again. The woman who I had seen in my dream a week ago. I quiet down, as I know this is a touchy subject given that she's dead now. Then, he encourages, "You can ask about her."

I don't wait long to throw my questions at him. "Who is she? How do you know her? Why did I see her in my dreams? What happened to her?"

He doesn't even seem surprised by the plethora of questions that burst from my mouth.

"Yen is-" he sighs. "Was one of the most powerful mages. I first met her when I needed help from her to heal a... friend, of mine. As for your dreams, I don't know. It seems during the attack on Sodden, she was killed." From the side, I can see his jaw clench. He's angry about it. 

It also doesn't pass by me how he calls her Yen. She must have been someone important to him. Maybe he even loved her? I imagine him loving someone romantically before shaking my head. No, that's impossible. 

"We're almost there," he says, and I perk up, excited to see Kaer Morhen. Another half an hour goes by before we are able to set our eyes on it.

"Woah." My mouth falls open as I witness Kaer Morhen in all its glory. The castle-like structure is half built into a mountain with multiple walls surrounding it, giving the Witchers plenty of good stations to keep watch on. It's obvious that this keep doesn't have someone taking care of outside maintenance as vines are overgrowing, coating the outside walls. The stones making up the wall themselves are chipped from wear over time, but the keep itself is as sturdy as it can get. No wonder Geralt thinks this place can protect me. 

He leads us to through the gates and to a stable, where I see other horses residing, chomping on some hay. Roach will surely enjoy the hay. It's probably better than leaves anyways. He ties her to one of the wooden poles.