Roach and Cobalt

When finally light enters my room via a small hole in the wall, I get up from the bed. 

And fall to the floor after one step on my bad leg. 

I grumble as I stretch out the leg. My dress is in the way, but because it is already tattered, I don't have much difficulty ripping off the bottom.

With easy access to the leg, I see the strip of cloth that Geralt had tightened right below the knee. The front of it is wet with blood. I undo the cloth, wincing as it uncovers my cut. It's deeper than I have previously believed.

"Great," I mutter, "Stupid branch. And stupid rock."

I scooch backwards until I can reach the cup of water next to my bed. Taking it, I take liberty in pouring it directly on the wound, trying to clean it. After I run out of water, I set the cup aside and pick up the cloth I ripped off from the dress.

I wince at its condition. The cloth is marred with dirt, and I really didn't want to press it to an open wound. Flipping it, I see that the inside is much cleaner. I redo the tie at my leg, baring my teeth as it burns.

When I'm done, I grin. "Good as new." 

Climbing up to my feet, I test putting some weight on the leg. It's definitely unhappy, but so was I for the past year. It'll have to deal with it.

I practice walking around my room while covering up the limp. Once I'm satisfied enough, I leave my quarters, but not before snatching my thick cloak. I remember the way Eskel led me down last night, and retrace back the steps to the dining hall, hoping to find someone there.

I hear people talk as I walk in, though they stop once they hear the door open. I spot Eskel and Coen eating at a table.

Eskel looks me up and down as I stride in. "Why's your dress like that?"

I blink at him. "It was in the way."

He frowns. "So you ripped it off?"

I don't answer, and instead ask, "Where's Geralt?"

"The little princess is already missing her protector." Coen scowls. "How about you stop leeching off of him, yeah?"

I harden my jaw but let no emotion show on my face. Be indifferent. Be indifferent. Be indifferent. Even though, he is right. It seems I haven't been careful enough, and I've leaned too much on Geralt's support. That will have to end.

"I didn't ask for your commentary. I asked you where he is," I say, calmly. Geralt would be proud of the emotionless tone I used.

Coen opens his mouth, but Eskel cuts him off, "He's in the alchemy room, with Vesemir."

I nod as a thank you. Before leaving, I briefly consider eating breakfast. I hadn't eaten dinner last night either. I push that thought aside when I feel the anxiety in my gut, knowing I wouldn't be able to stomach any food right now. Some time later, I decide.

Besides, I don't want to sit anywhere near Coen and eat breakfast with him. 

As I head out of the dining hall, I realize I have no idea where the alchemy room is, but I'm not willing to ask.

Closing the dining hall door behind me, I view my options. I know the stairs to my right lead to the quarters, and the door in front of me is the entrance of Kaer Morhen. I don't know where the left hall would take me. Usually, I would be curious enough to explore, but today, I'm far too tired.

I decide to leave the building and get some fresh air. 

Pushing open the heavy, large door, I step into the snow and take deep breath in as fresh cold air enters my lungs. I let the door close behind me as I trudge towards the stable, figuring that Roach wouldn't mind a visit.