Trouble at the Market

I hide behind a building, peeking into the market. It's pretty big for such a small town. Tables covered with food, clothing, and weapons are lined up down the road as far as I can see. I bet I will find what I need here.

I didn't face too much trouble finding the market. I simply followed the sounds of chatter, from people yelling out prices for their products to the jingle of coin.

The market is bustling with people, which should allow me to slip in without taking too much attention. I move to join the crowd, but then I feel a hand on my shoulder, causing me to jump. 

I turn around, knocking the hand off, and raise my fist.

I make eye contact with a boy a couple years older than me. He has bushy blond hair and pale blue eyes, which are widened as he takes a couple of steps back, raising his hand in surrender. I would consider him cute if I didn't feel a bolt of fear crash through my heart.

He raises his hands in surrender. "Hey, wait, I didn't mean to scare you."

"Who are you? What do you want?" I don't lower my hands, nor uncurl them.

"I'm Johan. I've never seen you around- just wanted to talk to you." He attempts a small smile, which doesn't even budge the frown off my face. "What's your name?"

"That doesn't concern you," I say, and I turn away, entering the market.

I aim towards the first stand I spot with clothing. 

"Hey! Wait! Where are you going?" I hear him try to catch up with my fast pace. He falls in step with me. "Why can't I know your name?"

I glance at his face, and he puckers his lips. I continue walking and huff, "I'm busy."

"Want to go for lunch?" He asks, and I immediately halt. He trips in his haste to stop walking. He gives me a grin, thinking he got me.

"Look, John-"

"Johan."

"Johan, I'm not interested, and even if I were, which I'm not, I don't have the time. So if you could please leave me alone, it would be much appreciated."

The grin slips off his face, replaced with a scowl. "I swear, all girls are like this. You try to do something nice for them and-"

I'm already gone.

"Hey! Where do you think you're going?"

I start running past the stand I was originally planning to visit. I just want some space between me and that Johan boy to look for what I need in peace. For once, I'm thankful for being small as I can get past people easily. Then, I spot a tablecloth which is draped on a stand. As soon as I reach the table, I duck and crawl underneath it. 

On my knees, I peek out, seeing Johan's footsteps run right past me.

I stay for a couple of minute more until I know for sure he is gone. I was hoping this day would go more smoothly, if I have to be honest. I pray I don't run into Johan again. 

I check one more time before slipping out and entering the crowd of people and begin my search once more.

My eyes scan the tables that are set up throughout the street. There's stands filled with all kinds of foods- honey jars, chocolate sweets, and homemade cookies, as well as some selling grilled steak and chicken. Others are selling herbs. One woman is yelling about the healing properties of her plants while I pass by. There's also a wide variety of drinks for sale which I'm sure Lambert would be interested in. If I would have had more money, I would have bought him something. 

Finally, I arrive at the section I've been searching for.

Cloaks, scarves, boots, and all types of satchels. All I need is some normal cloth.