Chapter 4

You gazed into the mirror and gave a nod of appreciation. Your long dress hugged your body like skin, revealing curves that everyone would die for. You smiled, checking your teeth for lipstick, and walked to the kitchen. The sound of your heels clicking on the floor caught Sam and Steve's attention.

Sam made a funny sound, hallway between a whistle and a sigh. He took your hand and kissed the back of it.

"Look at us," you said with grin, "all dressed up to the nines."

"Not everyone," Sam replied with a nod towards the kitchen island where Bucky was standing.

He straightened his posture as you approached. You brows furrowed when you took in his outfit: a Henley and a pair of loose sweats. Your mood turned sour when you realised he wasn't going to attend the charity ball.

"You look..." he paused, at a loss for words. "...wow."

You looked down at your feet, fighting a big, goofy smile. "Thanks. You're not coming?" you asked, unable to hide the disappointment in your voice.

Bucky swallowed thickly. He couldn't stand seeing you so upset, not when he knew it was all his fault.

"It's not something I enjoy anymore." He looked away and shrugged. "I-I get anxiety and stuff... People stare at me like I'm a freak, so I get cranky and I'm sure I'll ruin everyone's night. It's better if I just stay here."

Before you could object, Steve asked if you were ready to go. You nodded, not looking away from Bucky's sky blue eyes.

"Unless you want me to stay," you said quickly, but Bucky shook his head.

"No, have fun. I'm going to watch neat-flix and order a pizza."

"Netflix," you corrected with a smile.

"Yeah, that too," Bucky smirked before his expression darkened. "Don't worry about me."

"Someone has to," you replied and pressed your lips to his cheek in a quick kiss, sending warmth and guilt to his heart. An odd combination he wasn't sure he liked.

The party was in full swing, everyone was laughing and chatting. You stared at your drink without really seeing it. You had been excited about this party for weeks and even dolled yourself up, hoping to impress Bucky. But now instead of enjoying your night out, you were sulking alone in a corner.

Sighing heavily, you quickly scanned the room for your teammates. It seemed like they were all having fun. Your eyes rounded when you saw Bucky. He stood at the threshold of the ballroom, dressed in a tight suit, his slightly greasy hair tied up into a bun. It was obvious he had dressed in a hurry, but he looked better than ever.

You watched him as he looked around the room, searching for someone. His eyes landed on you and your heart raced. You set your glass down on a nearby table and met him in the centre of the room.

"Hey!" He sounded out of breath.

"Hey," you parroted, "I thought you had bigger plans tonight."

Bucky rubbed the back of his neck, his eyes darted around like he was expecting someone to attack him. He cleared his throat awkwardly, avoiding your question. "Were you having fun?"

You snorted. "God, no! It's the most boring party I've ever been to."

"Dance with me."

With a lopsided grin, Bucky took a step back and held his hand out, urging you to take it. He clasped your hand with his and settled the other around your waist. You sway back and forth to a slow song and briefly wondered if he could hear the drumming of your heart.

"I haven't danced in a long time," he admitted, his lips close to your ear.

"You're still pretty good at it."

He pulled back to look at you. "I never thought I'd dance again, but dancing with you is easy." He tightened his grip around your waist. "Everything's easier when I'm with you."

His words sent waves of heat through your body. You took a deep breath before you replied, "You're the only man I want to dance with."

You danced in silence, feeling like this party wasn't so boring after all.