Chapter 7

At the pancake house, you sat across from Bucky and studied the menu. There were so many different choices, you were completely lost. Seeing you hesitate, Bucky ordered a huge breakfast fest, including a large stack of pancakes and two different kinds of juices.

"You're insane," you laughed when the waitress left. "We'll never be able to eat all that food."

"Don't worry, I'm starving."

You noticed he kept his metal hand on his thigh under the table. He looked around, hoping no one would recognize him. You watched him with a fond smile.

"Nervous?"

He pursed his lips into a tight smile. "That obvious, uh?"

"It's okay, they're not looking at you," you said with a smile. "And even if they were, I'm sure they'd be staring at your very impressive biceps."

Bucky shook his head, grinning. You laid your hand, palm up, on the table. He took it and weaved his metal fingers through yours.

"I know they're not looking at me," he said, bringing your hand to his lips. "Not when you're with me."

You looked down at your lap, fighting a silly grin. "You're a smooth talker, James."

"It's coming back to me."

The waitress came back with your drinks and food, forcing him to drop your hand. It gave you a few moment to regain your composure. You looked at the food on the table and let out a nervous laugh.

"Everything looks so delicious."

Bucky agreed with a nod, his eyes wide in amazement. You chuckled at his excitement and cut into your pile of pancakes. You shoved your first forkful of blueberry pancakes into your mouth, your eyes rolling back into your skull.

"Oh, God," you moaned in pleasure, "it's so good!"

The sound that left your mouth made Bucky choke on his orange juice. He shifted in his seat, willing his rapidly growing bulge to cease.

"Are you okay?" You tilted your head, frowning concernedly. Still coughing, Bucky nodded. He was glad that you seemed oblivious to the reaction you caused. "Went down the wrong pipe?"

"You could say that."

You furrowed your brows, but he dismissed your concern with a wave of his hand. He hid his embarrassed face behind his glass, screaming internally.

The conversation flowed easily between you. You shared bites of your food and agreed that blueberry pancakes were the best. You chuckled, wiping away a smudge of blueberry on Bucky's chin.

Time seemed to fly by, and before you knew, the waitress brought the bill. Bucky reached for his wallet, but you beat him to it. You dropped a few bills and a generous tip on the table.

"I took some money from the swear jar before we left."

Bucky gaped at you. "You're incredible."

"Not really," you replied with a shrug, "but Steve and his potty mouth are pretty amazing."

You walked back to Bucky's bike and put your helmet on before you climbed on behind him and wrapped your arms around his waist. Bucky removed the kickstand and made sure you were sitting comfortably before he pulled out into traffic.

When you arrived at the compound, you noticed Sharon's car parked in the driveway. Steve must have called her after everyone bailed on him. The kitchen was empty, but you nudged Bucky and nodded toward the half-touched plates of food on the table.

Suddenly, a moan tore through the silence. You distinctly heard the words 'Oh, my God' before you and Bucky burst out laughing. There was no way Steve and Sharon heard you, they were making a lot of noise, but you still tried to stifle your giggles.

You led Bucky down the corridor towards your rooms, turned the corner and stopped. This part of the compound was always quiet.

Bucky stood next to your door, he didn't want the night to end. You stayed silent, mindlessly tracing the scar on your shoulder.

"I see you do that a lot," Bucky said, looking at your hand.

"It reminds me of you." You smiled at the crescent moon scar and raised your eyes to look at him. His expression was careworn, almost hurt. "You patched me up the night we met. You took care of me."

Bucky took a step closer and carefully raised his hand. "May I?"

You nodded, eager to feel his touch. He ran his index finger along your scar, seemingly entranced by it. His hand skimmed down your arm and he intertwined your fingers together, gently tugging you closer.

"I want to be your man," he slowly closed the distance between you, "if you'll have me."

Bucky waited for your approval, the tip of his nose touching yours. Your eyes were already closed when you nodded. His lips brushed yours, back and forth, like a feather. It was so tender that tears stung behind your eyes. When he pressed his lips against yours, you wrapped your free arm around his waist and pulled him to you.

He rested his forehead against yours, inhaling deeply.

"It was my first kiss since 1943," he revealed.

"Me too," you tried to lighten the mood.

Bucky laughed softly before his lips found yours again, this time more demanding. You parted your lips for him and let him take control of the kiss. He backed you up against the wall in the hall and slid his fingers through your hair, cradling the back of your head.

You ran your hands up and down his sides as his kisses turned sloppy. A happy tear ran down your cheek, making him pull away. He wiped it off with his thumb, a concerned frown furrowing his brows.

"It's okay, I'm just happy," you said, not recognising your own voice. He kissed the corner of your eye.

"I'm sorry," he laughed again, "I really took my sweet time."

"It's better than rushing into something you're not ready for."

"I'm ready." A warmth spread through his chest and he knew he really meant those words.

"Good. Do you want to stay a bit longer?"

He cupped your face, his thumbs stroking your cheekbones. He wanted more, he wanted to sleep next to you, but a nagging voice in the back of his head reminded him that this was too good to be true.

"I can't- It's..." His jaw clenched, frustrated that he couldn't put his feelings into words.

"Baby steps," you soothed, rubbing his sides.

He sighed, grateful for the distraction, and nodded. "Baby steps."