Chapter 10

You strode down the hall to Bucky's room, squealing internally as you finally reached the door. Your three-month assignment ended a lot sooner than expected and when Tony told everyone they could go home, you decided to surprise your boyfriend. You slowly opened the door, giggling to yourself.

"I'm ho-" You barged into the room, arms extended, but you cut yourself off, brows furrowed. Nothing could have prepared you for the sight in front of you.

The wall between Bucky's room and your own was down... well almost down. Thor swung his hammer and raised his ridiculously strong arms in a victory gesture as the wall crumbled down. No one noticed your presence, they were too focused on their tasks.

"Who's a hoe?" Clint asked from his spot on the ladder. His eyes widened when he saw you standing near the front door. "Hey! Your girl's here!" he said, a little too loudly for it to be a casual greeting.

Bucky whirled around to face the front door, a look a sheer panic on his face. He crossed the room in two long strides and gently grabbed your shoulders. You blinked fast, unable to move.

"Hey, love!" he said with an awkward chuckle and then kissed your cheek. "I wasn't expecting you back so soon."

"Yeah... I can see that," you said slowly as your senses came back into focus. "Why is there a giant hole between our bedrooms?"

Bucky led you further away from Clint, Thor and the enormous gaping hole that was once the wall connecting your rooms. You noticed that his bed, drawer and desk were covered with tarpaulins.

"Remember when I said we should move in together and you said there was still a wall between us?" He didn't give you time to answer before he continued. "At first I thought you meant a metaphorical wall, but then I understood... it was an actual fuckin' wall."

"Yeah, but what? Why?" Your eyebrows knitted together and you shook your head, unable to put together a coherent sentence.

"It was supposed to be a surprise," he said, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. "I didn't want you to feel like we were living in a construction zone."

"Bucky," you sighed.

"Hear me out, okay?" he urged, taking your hands. "We always sleep in your room so it will be our bedroom. We'll turn my bedroom into a living room and your bathroom will be a kitchenette. It won't be huge, but there's still an actual kitchen down the hall."

Bucky let you process the new information he'd dumped on you. He looked at you with a hopeful smile, his eyes crinkling at the corners, and you gave up. You couldn't say no to him, especially when he smiled like that.

"Fine," you huffed out, "but you should have told me."

"Yes, ma'am," he said, circling his arms around your waist, "sorry, ma'am."

You cocked a brow at him as he leaned in and nudged your nose with his. "You're lucky you're hot."

Before Bucky could kiss you, Thor cleared his throat. He had a stupid grin on his lips as he watched you and Bucky.

"You're one of the blessed few whose house was built by Mjolnir."

"Mew-mew knocked out a wall," Clint chimed in. "I'm the one doing all the work here."

While you enjoyed Thor's witty comeback and sassy facial expression, you and Bucky decided to slip out of the room without them noticing. As soon as Bucky had closed the door, he cupped your face and kissed you.

You were finally home.

You locked your arms around his neck and arched into him, wanting to feel every inch of him against you. When Bucky pulled back, he rested his forehead against yours. You could still hear Clint and Thor's muffled voices.

"They're basically children," you said.

"Yeah, and it's like that all day long." Bucky dragged out the last three words. You giggled. "I'm glad you're home safe, I missed you."

He trailed open-mouthed kisses down the column of your throat while he pulled the strap of your tank top down. When he reached the crescent moon scar on your shoulder, he gave it a gentle kiss. It was something he did every time you came back from a mission.

"The first time I saw you, you called me 'Sir Bucky'," he recalled, smiling against your skin.

You let out an embarrassed groan. "It was Clint's fault."

Bucky smiled up at you and adjusted your tank top strap before he straightened up.

"He's a nice guy, we talk a lot. Ironically, I'm glad someone understands what it's like to have no control over your actions, ya know?"

"I know," you said softly, tucking a strand of hair behind his ear. "And I'm sure it helps him as much as it helps you."

Bucky and Clint built up a close friendship based on their shared life experience. He loved you very much, but there were things he couldn't tell you; not because you would treat him differently, but because only someone who had been through the same kind of torture could understand the depth of his trauma.

"Hey, Loverboy!" Clint shouted through the closed door. "You're more than welcome to join us."

Bucky kissed your cheek before he took a step toward the door. He reached for the doorknob, paused and glanced over his shoulder. He looked at you with nothing but adoration shining in his blue eyes and you practically melted.

"I only want what's best for you," he said. "I love you."

"I love you too."

Smiling sweetly at you, he disappeared inside the room and closed the door. You stayed there for a moment, smiling to yourself. You had found your other half, your best friend, your lover and your protector.

"True love begins when nothing is looked for in return." Antoine de Saint-Exupéry