Chapter 9

Bucky groaned as he searched his bag for his glove and came up empty. It had been designed by Bruce and Tony to resemble flesh. Crossing the bedroom, he yanked the top drawer out and spilled the contents onto the floor

"I can't leave if I don't have my glove," Bucky complained, scratching his head. "I could have sworn I left it on the bed."

He turned around and scanned the room. His shoulders dropped when he saw you sitting cross-legged on the bed, his precious glove in your lap. He sat next to you and threw it aside.

"Look at me," he demanded.

When you didn't move, he hooked his finger under your chin and raised your head until your eyes met his. His heart broke when he saw the tears on your cheeks.

"It's a stakeout," he repeated for the nth time, "I'll be back in two days."

"I know," you said, throwing your head back dramatically. "I know you can take care of yourself, but I'm worried. And why do you need your glove if it's a stakeout?"

"It's just a precaution." He curled his arm around your shoulders and pulled you against his side. "I know how you feel. It hurts when you leave, but it's your job and I've accepted that. Now I need your support. I can't do this without my best girl."

"I'll always support you, but... I'm scared you won't come back," you whispered.

Bucky took a deep breath, then exhaled slowly. It took him a while to accept that each mission could potentially be his last –or your last, but he wanted to prove himself. He kissed the top of your head and squeezed your shoulder.

"No matter what happens, we'll always be together. You're always on my mind. Not even death can change that."

Your smile grew into a quiet laugh. "I love you too."

Lowering his head, he chuckled. "Yeah, that's what I was trying to say, but these three words seemed too simple for what I'm feeling."

He leaned loser until his lips brushed your ear and whispered the three simple words into your ear. A comfortable warmth spread through you. He cradled your jaw in his hands and kissed you slowly.

"I have to go," he said, resting his forehead against yours. "But when I come back, I'm gonna make love to you in every position I can think of."

"Cool!" you joked.

Bucky took his glove and swung his overnight bag over his shoulder. You accompanied him to the door and gave him a long, passionate kiss. He wanted to say nothing wrong would ever happen, but he refused to make any promises he couldn't keep.