Chapter 6

Asking you out proved more difficult than he had thought. How do you ask your best friend out on a romantic date? He tried to rehearse it in front of his mirror, but Sam caught him and teased him endlessly. His natural response was to go to the gym and punch something.

"What's happening between you and Bucky?" Natasha asked with a knowing grin as you walked down the hall toward the training room.

"Don't act like you don't know, Nat. It doesn't suit you." You bumped your shoulder with hers. "I'm not blind, I know he likes me and I like him too, but we're... taking it slow."

Reaching the door, you both walked inside the gym. Natasha's eyes automatically scanned the room. Bucky and Steve were sparring on the mat, their ridiculously small shirts hugging their broad frames.

When he saw you, Bucky arched his shoulders, making himself look bigger. Steve caught him off guard and, soon, Bucky was lying face down on the mat.

"Serves you right," Steve pulled him to his feet. "You were distracted."

Bucky shot him a dirty look before he turned around and saw you and Natasha standing a few steps away, staring at him. He mustered a smile.

"Buck, I'd like to see you spar with our new recruit." Steve used his Captain America voice.

Bucky nodded and pushed a few sticky strands of hair off his face. You smiled as he struggled to adjust to his new haircut. His hair was still long enough to fall into his face, but not long enough to tie back.

You stood with your fists raised and Bucky mirrored your posture. He blocked your first attack and gave you an impressed nod, witnessing your fighting skills first-hand. Natasha and Steve were watching silently.

Bucky wasn't holding back his punches and you really appreciated that. He threw his punches harder, trying to throw you on the mat. His muscles flexed each time he touched you.

You used Natasha's favourite move, but he saw it coming and pulled your hair back hard. There was no way you could beat him fair and square. You considered your options. What was the Winter Soldier's greatest weakness? He didn't have any. What was Bucky Barnes' greatest weakness?

You.

You cried out in fake pain, like something from a horror movie, and Bucky released you immediately. He turned you to face him and cupped your jaw in his hands, searching your face for any signs of pain. Grinning devilishly, you pushed your full weight into him. He lost his balance, making him fall flat on his back.

You landed on top of him and chuckled.

"I win!"

"You cheated," he grumbled, still cupping your face.

You scoffed. "Says the man who pulled my hair. You play dirty, Bucky."

The sound of someone clearing their throat pulled your attention away from him. Suddenly remembering you were not alone, you pushed yourself off Bucky and smiled sheepishly at Steve and Natasha.

"Ready to fight, Widow?" you asked her.

Natasha cocked a brow at you, silently telling you that you were not fooling anyone. She grinned and joined you as Bucky scrambled to his feet. He gathered his things and followed Steve out of the room.

"That was entertaining," Steve teased, sarcasm dripping from his words.

"Shut up," Bucky grumbled. "So what do you say? Can I join the team?"

"You know I can't allow that," Steve sighed.

"Is it because of the shrink? Steve, she says I'm good. Even signed the damn paper-"

"It's not just that," Steve cut him off. "The way you act around her makes me think you won't be able to keep fighting if something were to happen to her. Buck, if you lose it everytime she-"

"If pigs could fly," Bucky reflected, stopping in the middle of the hall. Steve turned around, fidgeting under Bucky's stare. "C'mon! Who do you think I am?"

Steve sighed. "Listen, it's not easy. Sometimes, not everyone comes back and we're all aware of that. If you join the team, you have to accept that each mission can be her last."

Bucky pondered his words for a moment, then looked back at Steve. "I may need another week or two."

Steve put his hand on Bucky's shoulder and squeezed. "No rush, Buck."

Bucky returned to his room, he needed to be alone. He stayed in the shower for a long time and let the hot water massage away his tensions. He couldn't bear the thought of losing you.

Bucky wiped the fog off the mirror with his hand and looked at his reflection. He was deep in thought when he heard someone knock at the front door. Clad only in a white towel wrapped around his waist, he swung the door open. Your eyes widened at the sight of Bucky's taut chest and damp hair.

"Hey!" You cleared your throat and darted your gaze away. "Do you want to hear a scary story?"

"Always."

"Steve's cooking dinner."

Bucky grinned. "Sounds dreadful."

"Yeah," you chuckled, "everyone has already left. Wanna go eat dinner outside?" You saw him frown, it was probably the word 'outside' that made him hesitate. "Please, Bucky."

Your fake sad pout made his heart lurch. "Fine, but I want pancakes."

"Oh, breakfast-for-dinner? I like how you think."

"Let me throw some clothes on and I'll join you in a minute," he said, suddenly aware of his state of undress.

"Take your time, I need to take a shower."

Bucky closed the door and searched through his closet for something to wear. He heard the sound of running water coming from your bathroom and had to try really hard not to let his imagination run wild.

He was going out with you. It wasn't exactly a date, but it could become one...