Chapter Eight

"So you're making Inhumans fight each other for entertainment? That's what this is all about?" Daisy asked, hands on her hips. There was no way they could force Daisy and Asia to fight each other.

"No," the older guy said, shaking his head and walking past the two of them. "It's not just entertainment. It's profit. Kasius' profit, to be clear." It was clear enough, in those words, that this man didn't see any of that profit himself. All he saw was a better life than those on the lower floors.

"So what's he want then?" Asia asked, reaching up to run her finger behind her left ear. She, too, had one of the devices blocking her powers embedded into her skin. Daisy did, too. They were far too dangerous to simply let free. Clearly, neither would stay put if they had free reign over what they could truly do.

Asia had realized almost instantly when she awoke that they had installed something in her. They had given both of them drugs for the pain, but, it was the lack of life around her that made it all so obvious. She could usually feel everything living around her, for everything was made of water. But that life, that essence, was gone. She was cut off from it, and it was devastating.

"He wants a display of your abilities," the man replied with a shrug. "Both of you will fetch a high price." He pulled a remote from his pocket, casually clicking it and bringing their powers back to life, electricity dancing down Asia's spine as suddenly the sense of water flooded back into her system. And just as quickly as it had came, he clicked the remote again all of it was pulled back away, as if he were toying with them. On that note, a large Kree soldier with a gun approached them, waving his weapon at the two Inhumans and escorting them back towards the elevator. Cattle. Asia felt like she and Daisy were being treated like Cattle. Lead for the slaughter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We do this because our families get compensated once we're gone," the psychic Inhuman hissed at them, as the three stood alone, back upstairs, in one of the starkly empty rooms, silence surrounding them. The words were like a lead weight dropped upon her. once we're gone. Gone. Kasius was going to try and sell them off and separate them, in the future, in fucking outer space. That couldn't happen. Her brain was already running through scenarios, how they would get back together if the worst case did happen.

"You mean your family gets paid to sell you," Daisy fired back, and Asia was happy to let her lead the conversation and run it while she tried to put her own plans together.

"What I mean is they have a better chance of surviving here without me around," the man fired back. They still didn't even know his name. "Survival is everything here."

"This is insane, Asia you have to see this is insane," Daisy protested, grabbing her friend's upper arm.

"This is life," the man countered, and Asia was reminded of their conversation with Deke. They might never understand this fight or flight feeling that these people spent their entire life feeling. "Our families could pay the price if we don't. You two have people you care about, each other at the very least, I heard that much. So if you don't want to see each other hurt, you're going to have to play the game. And if they pit us against each other, I suggest you try to win. Because I certainly will." He looked at them, eyes sharp and narrowed, before he brushed by, leaving the room and disappearing out into the hall.

"We can't let that happen," Asia said. "Any of what he's saying. I'm not going to fight you. I don't want to fight any of them. You and I both know we can beat anyone in there. They might be Inhumans but we have training," she crossed her arms over her chest as she leaned in to whisper to her friend. "Even Mr. Smartass who thinks he knows all. I don't need to think to win a fight. You think Natasha Romanoff spends her time pre-thinking every single move?"