Chapter ThirtyOne

As nice as the wedding, and the next few evenings after, were, things did not last that way. Of course they didn't. There was always more work to be done. They needed more gravitonium, or the rift would open again, and slowly grow and grow until it swallowed the world with a nightmare realm. Bad stuff, guys, real bad stuff.

And, of course, there was only one solution.

"Cybertek," Daisy said as she nodded towards the large screen behind her, looking back out at her team. "The last time anyone saw gravitonium on this timeline was at Cybertek's lab. They happen to be the same company that built Deathlok's leg."

"Cybertek was disolved," May pointed out. "Raina is dead, Quinn's vanished." Asia let out and involuntary shiver and Leo wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her closer to him. He knew, now, what exactly that name did for her.

"Yes, fair point, but we've located the names of a few scientists who used to work under Ian Quinn so-"

"Who's Ian Quinn?" Deke asked from behind them and Asia squeezed her eyes shut. Worst mission ever. Would there be no end to the barrage of having to hear his name over and over again? Leo's fingers tightened on her side and she could feel the wedding ring imprinting on her skin.

"Rich guy, bad guy," Leo explained in very short terms, sighing, then turning to look at the brunette. "What are you doing in here?" It wasn't the most subtle change of subjects, but it would do to get them to stop discussing Quinn.

"Oh, what?" Deke said, stepping forward until he too was up on the platform. "Am I not a part of the cool kids club? Should I pack my bags and just go get a cheeseburger?" He looked somewhat truthfully hurt.

"Have a seat Deke," Coulson said with a sigh. "He knew we were here because I invited him. He's seen more gravitonium than the rest of us, seems like a good guy to have on our side. Probably knows how to work with it better, too." They were valid points, even if everyone wasn't 100% on board with the idea. And, he had gone out to get Asia's wedding dress, so she couldn't really dislike him as much as she used to.

"Alright then," Daisy said with a pop of her lips, turning back to face the screen. "This is the guy who was all about the gravitonium, Dr. Joseph Getty," she explained, pulling up the image of an older white guy with a receding hairline. He looked like a typical stressed out doctor. The word 'deceased' was also listed in red letters beneath his image. "And here's where things get interesting. Clearly, it states he's dead. All of Cybertek's scientists in fact as dead. All within the past two years, and all of their death certificates were signed by one man." She tapped her tablet and another image pulled up. "This guy. Murray Jacobson."

"So it's a coverup," Asia said, crossing her arms as she looked up at the screen. "And not a very subtle one, might I add. Any luck finding the guy?"

"Tried," Daisy said, shaking her head. "I ran facial recognition, but his name comes up with multiple different aliases in different countries. The most recently used was Lewis Casalino, in Baton Rouge."

"Sounds like he's the guy we need to talk to then," Coulson said with a nod. "Let's get a team ready."

"So..." May trailed off, turning to look at him. "We're going to risk going outside?"

"We'll have to," Coulson said with a shrug. "Not many other options. We'll leave in the cover of night. This is just a risk we're going to have to take. If this guy can help us find Dr. Getty, help us find the gravitonium, we have to make the call." Deke stood up to speak and Coulson looked over at him, "Nope, you're staying here. You can help Fitz with...something. Or help Agent Monroe maintain security."

"Hey, hey, wait now," Leo said in protest. "I'm not some built in babysitter, I'm a scientist." He narrowed his gaze to look at Deke, annoyance in his eyes.