Chapter Twelve

The climb out of the elevator shaft was a dark and grueling one, especially with Asia's arm still feeling rather out of commission. They finally came to a hatch they were able to wedge open and all crawl through, dumping out into a hot, dimly let hallway. There were pipes running everywhere in the close-quarters space, steam huffing out in occasional spots along the rows.

"These pipes are hot," Daisy said, quickly pulling her hand away after touching one. "Wonder if that means this is the spa floor," she quipped as they moved towards a closed door and a panel of buttons at the end of the hall.

"What I wouldn't give for a spa. Or a shower. Or a bed," Asia muttered, rubbing her arm to sooth out some of the pain. The only single thing she could think of that was nice about her powers being shut off was that heat wouldn't make her feel weak. She couldn't imagine how draining this stuffy hallway would be with them turned on. "I don't think that's what this is though," she said, looking around the hall and taking in their surroundings. "There's a lot of power running into here."

"And this pipe over here is cold," Jemma said, from where she stood in a small opening of space, hands resting against a brown pipe.

Leo approached a screen, studying it closely. "They're tracking signs for airborne contaminants...various gases like carbon monoxide, mold, other harmful chemicals," he explained as he read it. "This must be their hub for life support systems."

"Of course there would be one," Asia said with a nod. "They need something to stabilize the floors they inhabit, make sure nothing goes wrong. They're living in a contained space, they need to keep everything controlled."

Leo moved around the room till his eyes caught on the handle of a panel against the wall. He reached for it, pushing until it gave way, sliding open to reveal a thick glass window with bits of metal winding through it for strength and support. His mouth fell open as he studied what was on the other side. "Well, I think I've figured out how they're creating the artificial gravity for this station," he called out, as Asia moved to stand beside him, eyes widening.

"That's Gravitonium," she breathed, staring at the fluid metal substance. It danced like water up and down the tubes which inhabited it. A shiver ran down her spine from an untraceable origin at the mere sight of it. But there wasn't time to think on that. She heard the movement of boot quietly on the ground and finger on trigger and she reached for Leo, grabbing him and yanking him behind a support pillar, the sound of gunshots filling the air around them. She looked at him, breathing, nodding, but then her world slowed.

He was looking down, shaking hand reaching to grab at his lower abdomen, where there was blood and a tear in his gray shirt. A ricochet, it must have been a ricochet. Her face paled. She had tried so hard to bring him to safety, her base instinct, and she couldn't even do that.

"Submit willingly or continue to entertain me," the Kree soldier growled, gun pointed towards Jemma and Daisy. Without her powers, she felt useless. When did she come to rely so heavily upon them and less on her training? A burning shame hit her stomach and tears pricked her eyes as she saw that blood on his fingertips. Slowly, she raised her hands up and stepped around the pillar, making sure Leo was behind her. She saw Jemma and Daisy do so as well.

A rage filled her, as the Kree started to round the corner. "Get back!" She shouted when he was out of direct line of fire, pushing her friends back and towards a doorway, before rushing him, delivering a punch swiftly to the face through the mist around them. He thrust out with his left arm but she blocked, then brought her knee up sharply to his chest. She whirled, slamming her foot into his side, knocking him back into the steam. Before he could realize what was happen and retaliate again, she was gone.