Chapter 8

Jupiter dropped us at the hospital and Natalia sprinted into the compound, her new long knife slung across Jupiter's back. I exchanged a worried look with Jupiter, before telling him to circle the perimeter of the hospital. 

Fury was important to Ilya, because he was the one who accepted her into S.H.I.E.L.D. He gave her her first chance of doing good, and Ilya was very grateful for that. 

I walked into the building slowly, wanting to give her some room, but my eyes settled on the S.T.R.I.K.E teams which were located around the doors, allowing entry but not letting anyone out. It should have been the other way round, some thing was off. 

My hand moved into my pocket, stroking the remaining two cards in my pocket, calling on Jupiter in my mind, telling him to be ready for take off and any given second. 

I was not very close to Fury, so I stayed out side the door of the emergency room and waiting, scanning around for any potential threats. There were many. 

Steve walked out from behind the door a few minutes later, surprised when he saw me. "You are awake," He said halfheartedly. 

I nodded. "How is he?"

Steve looked back, and my heart sank. "He... didn't make it."

I found Natalia in the morgue, her arms crossed, her face blank and void of expression, a tear slipping out of the corner of her eye. Steve stepped in beside me, standing by the wall, seeming deep in thought.

"We need to take him." Hill crossed the threshold of the room, sniffing, her eyes slightly red, then she turned to me. "Before we do, can you... I mean I heard you could..."

"She just woke up." Natalia said coldly, her fist clenched to stop her from shaking. But I knew she wanted me to, I saw it from her posture. 

"I could try," I frowned. "But the soul would have forgotten its past anyways, there is a very slim chance for it to have became a ghost."

"Please," the agent begged. "As long as there is a chance."

I sat cross legged on the floor, and started to chant, once, twice, three times. Then I bolted up, reaching for my cards. 

"What did you get?" Hill asked.

"This hospital was emptied out." I released Diana, who paced to Natalia's side, standing guard. "There are no souls in the whole building. It had not been a single dead person in here since at least three hours ago."

Natalia understood immediately, stroked Fury's head once before striding out the room. Diana and I followed behind. 

"Natasha." Steve chased after us. 

"Why was Fury in your apartment?" Natalia pointed her chin at Steve, looking him straight in the eye. 

"I don't know." He looking lost and confused. "I..."

"Captain, they want you back at S.H.I.E.L.D." A man with a short beard approached, his hand on his rifle. 

" Yeah, give me a second, Rumlow." Steve turned his head slightly. 

"They want you now." The man called Rumlow warned, his tone becoming a bit edged. 

"Ok." Steve scanned the man up and down. 

As if realized that he pushed Steve to hard, Rumlow turned back to his team, ordering them to prepare to set off.

"You are a terrible liar." Natalia raised a corner of her mouth, but her smile did not reach her eyes. She continued on her way out, Diana and I clearing a path for her.