Chapter 11

Steve's friend Sam Wilson did not look very surprised when Jupiter landed by his front door, carrying three ragged humans on his back.

He welcomed them in, offered them showers and a place to stay, and to show his appreciation, Jupiter allowed Sam a full body examination, including him poking around Jupiter's feather, trying to pluck one to see if it hurts.

"He is made of the same material as Thor's hammer." I told him. "So if you could pluck that feather, you'd have a chance of breaking Thor's weapon like breaking tofu. Sam Wilson liked the idea, and went back to his practice of trying to make Jupiter look like a giant metallic Easter turkey, and miserably failing.  

After a thorough shower, I sat cross legged beside Natalia, watching as she dried her hair robotically, a few strands at a time, staring into empty space with her emerald green eyes.

"Talk to me, Ilya." I sighed, making my way behind her, taking the towel from her and gently drying her hair with it. "What is it that troubles your mind."

"Katya." I stiffened a little. It was not usual that she called me by my nickname. Something must be seriously wrong. 

"I thought I was doing something right for once." She smiled up at me, but I can see tears welling up in her eyes. "When I got into S.H.I.E.L.D, I thought.... I thought that I could have put that past behind me and actually be good, pay for the wrongs I've done and that even if I killed or lied, it would have been for a good cause...."

I felt a small lump in my throat, pursing my lips as I hugged her tight. 

"You were right," She pulled away after a few moments, shaking her head and forcing out a smile. "We are all pawns in a chess game, and I didn't even know which side I played on."

"You played for Nick Fury," I frowned. "You played for me, and Tony. You played for everyone who you have ever saved, and there are thousands of them."

"But...." 

"I do not mean half of the words I say, Ilya." I interrupted, my brown eyes meeting her green ones. "Both you and Rogers needed a push. You needed to realize who you want to play for in this chess game, to decide right and wrong itself. You have a choice now, we are no longer in the Red Room. You can say no to a mission because you think it feels wrong. And Rogers...."

I sighed. "When you don't see evil, it only means they are hiding. The better they hide, the more dangerous it is going to be to bring them down. I needed to see if I could trust him, not only his loyalty, but also his abilities, his morals, his goals."

"And did I pass the test?" I looked up to see Steve, freshly washed and changed, raising an eyebrow at me. 

"For now." I looked at him, a smile at the corner of my lips. "Next time, don't listen to the bad guy talk, just smash their face straight in and then get out of there."

"Lesson learnt." He grinned. "I heard there's breakfast, you guys want to head down?"

"If it was the other way around," Natalia suddenly asked. "If it was down to me saving your life, and you both be honest with me. Would you trust me to do it?"

Steve stopped, looking her in the eye. "I would now."

Natalia's green eyes turned to me, and I put my forehead against hers, feeling her warmth and taking in her scent. "You know I would, Ilya. Always."

After some toast and butter, the four of us sat around the table. I toyed around with Jupiter as the other three developed a plan. 

"I was hoping we would get some input from the wise girl." Steve frowned as I drew sparks in the air and Jupiter's eyes followed my fingers.