Chapter 15

"I honestly thought you were joking when you said retirement." I laughed as I examined Fury's grave, Jupiter poking his head over my shoulder curiously. "I didn't think you would do it the 'me' way."

He rolled his eyes and said gruffly, "it solves a lot of problems. Besides, I need a new life in order to hunt down all those rats in Europe. Turns out, not a lot of them went down with the ship. "

He turned to Steve, who was looking at the grave with a hard expression. "Wanted to ask if you'd come."

"There's something I got to do first." He shook his head slightly. 

"How about you, Wilson? Could use a man with your abilities." He turned to the other man who was shifting from foot to foot.

"I'm more of a soldier than a spy." Sam smiled, nodding at Fury apologetically.

"All, right then...."

"How about me?" I interrupted. 

He looked at me in surprise behind his sunglasses. "You?"

"I'd like to think I'm qualified enough." I countered, "though I might leave half way. Consider me temporary help." 

Steve looked surprised too, and opened his mouth to ask something, but decided against it.

 "Of course, " Fury grinned. "I'd love you on the team."

He shook hands with Steve and Sam, and Sam hugged Jupiter as a goodbye. A weird friendship had developed between the two. Perhaps it was something hawk related. 

"Anybody asks for me, tell them they can find me, right here." Fury said, gesturing at the grave. 

"And you?" Steve raised a brow at me.

"I'm never in the same place for long, Rogers. Nowhere to call home." I grinned. "No one's gonna be looking for me."

"Was that a spur of the moment decision?" A voice said coldly behind me, "because I was not informed of this."

I turned to see a pair of emerald green eyes looking at me. Natalia walked towards our little gathering, and Fury gestured that he would be waiting for me in the car. 

"Yelena might be in Europe." I looked down at the tips of my shoes. "Now I'm out of hiding, it's better to try find her."

"Why do you think..."

"She's family."

She stared at me, pursing her lips, then sighed. "I'm going too, I need a few new covers, since I blew them all just now. It could take a while and I could..."

"I need to be alone, Natalia. For a while at least." I stared at her right in the eyes, Jupiter calling for me slightly impatiently. 

"We will discuss this." She warned me and the turned, handing a file to Steve. "The thing you asked for, I called in a few favours from Kiev."

He thanked her, offering no help to me as she pulled me away from the grave site.

Even when I gave him the puppy dog eyes.

The traitor.

"I don't want to lose another sister." 

It felt like a punch to the stomach. My smile was forced and she could tell. 

"You haven't lost any sister."

"Katya, I just found you. You are the target of many, especially in Europe, where most of the Hydra base camps are located. If you get caught..."

"I can protect myself. I have done it for years, with and without help."

Her gaze dropped. I must have hit a sore point.

My tone softened as I saw her clenched teeth. "You said it yourself, Natalia. This... feeling I have. It is interfering with all aspects of my life. I need to find a way to sort it out."

She rubbed her temples and shook her head, but I knew I convinced her. 

"Come back to me alive, Katya." She pulled me into a hug, her head nestled at the crook of my neck. "Promise me."

"I will," I smiled slightly, breathing in her familiar scent, unwilling to let her go. "You be careful too."

Fury met me on an aircraft or some sorts, a smug grin on his face. "She let you go?"

I furrowed my brows. "I think I was the one who let myself go."

"And when she needs you? Will you be back for her again?"

"You know I will Nick."

He huffed under his breath. "And this is why one should never fall in love."

"There are troubles with love, but I'd like to think that I've had my share of sweat moments." I countered, watching as the familiar buildings of New York slip away. 

Will I ever see them again?

I don't know.