Chapter 4

Ocono 4th, 3327 A.G

  Lady Nara and her guards stopped their horses just outside of house Tomhend, her grandparents residence. The past few years she'd felt lucky that they were so close. Most people went their entire lives without meeting at least one set of grandparents( in her case, her dad's parents had died before she was born), but she'd grown up with her mom's since they were only a day and a half's journey away.

As she waited for their guards to bring the gate up, she thought of the pressure they put on her. Her grandmother's witch suggested it might not be the best idea for her to have more children after Nara's mother; so she didn't.

  Ever since she'd gotten her first blood, Nara's grandparents had put more pressure on her than her father and all members of his staff combined to marry. She knew this trip would undoubtedly be made about that in some way, but her grandparents were old and she also knew she wouldn't have many more chances to see them. She told herself she would at least hear them out as the gate came fully open and the horses trotted forward.

  One of her grandparents guards- she could tell from the blood-drip seal, ran off to find them while the others offered to help her and her guards off the horses. They each denied but allowed them to take them to the stables.

  Seconds later her grandfather- Harvey Tomhend, and grandmother- Emelyn Tomhend, appeared from a door that led to their great hall. She smiled immediately and ran to hug them like a child, paying no mind to the stares she got from their servants. Her grandmother's arms wrapped tightly around her, releasing her only when she couldn't breathe.

  "It must be nice to get a break from the day to day stresses." Her grandmother commented. "I remember how odd it was going from no authority to having ... well- all of it overnight."

They didn't even pretend to be sorry for her loss as they'd always disapproved of her mother's choice of a husband.

  "It was...." Nara's voice trailed off as she searched for the right words. "An adjustment. I think I am used to it now."

  "You never truly get used to it-" her grandfather grumpily replied. "Never. You may learn to live with the responsibilities but even that takes many years."

  "I believe I'm dealing with it quite well." Nara protested. "The people... seem to respect me at least."

  "To your face maybe-" her grandmother shrugged. "But do they respect you when the doors are closed? When you are not there with the power to have them beheaded?"

Lady Nara went silent after that, because deep down she knew there was the possibility that they were right. All she could do was hope not. A Tomhend guard started to guide her to the room she stayed in while there, but she waved him off- having memorized the place years ago. Two of hers still followed her inside, through the great hall and down two hallways. They stood outside of the room to give her privacy and she immediately collapsed on the bed. The journey was exhausting despite the fact that she hadn't walked a single step along the way, and all she wanted to do was sleep without interruption, but just an hour later- one of the servants knocked to tell her dinner was ready. She groaned. Food was not an interest of hers at that moment, but she knew it'd be better to get the conversation that'd come with it out of the way.

She reached backwards to get herself out of the dress she'd been wearing for two full days and was successful much faster than she'd expected without help. She found an old black one of her mother's that was a slip on and yanked it over her head. She decided to leave her hair how it was; the gods had blessed her with curly red hair you could never tell was tangled.

When she arrived in the great hall, servants that were eating in the far corner immediately stood. She rolled her eyes, knowing she'd never be used to that as she sat beside her grandfather.

Her nose slightly turned up at the smell of venison and Brussels sprouts, but she hid it well by inhaling. If her grandparents knew she didn't approve of the food, they'd force the servants to make her something else and she didn't want to pile more work on top of them.

She forced a single bite down before jumpstarting the conversation.

"So-" She said. "When are you going to harass me about having children?"

"Young lady-"Emelyn began to correct her until Harvey put a hand up.

"You are the only future of house Ashhand and Tomhend. Once we are both dead, control of house Tomhend will go to you." Her grandfather calmly reminded her.

"Technically I already have control of it..." She mumbled under her breath.

"You are the only individual left capable of bearing children who belong to both houses. When they are mature enough to understand, you will send one of them to take over as lord or lady Tomhend. Any other child you may have would remain at house Ashhand." He continued. "There is a wonderful man who tends to the horses. I've already discussed it with him and-"

"Without speaking to me first?" Nara interrupted and shook her head. She'd gotten used to her grandfather's controlling ways by then, but in her head- that was one of his worst moments.

"With your father dead it is now my duty to make sure you carry out your duties." He took a large bite of Brussels sprouts, but in that moment, something in Nara snapped. She slammed a hand on the table and stood up, looking lord Tomhend right in the eyes.

"You will not make me do anything-"

"I am your grandfather-"

"I am the commanding Lady of the territory Kroba! If I tell my men to slaughter every man, woman, and child living within your house's walls and cart the bodies back to house Ashhand for the butcher to make animal feed with they will. Do not push me." Nara paused and took a deep breath. "I will meet with this man, but if I find he's someone I do not wish to spend my life with, I won't."