Chapter 32

Maux 11th, 3328 A.G

He'd survived twenty five years- Renard told himself. Not many could say the same. Many died before their sixth birthdays, in fact most did. Had each ill child lived, the world would not be able to sustain it's population.

But Renard was still there, and he told himself it had to be for a reason. He was not a religious man, but why else would Aises keep him alive?

He stood in front of his chamber mirror, adjusting the plain crown he wore. It still felt awkward on his head, as it made him painfully aware of one thing: He was the only living king. If Nara's plans worked out, he would continue to be just that.

The little power he had was still no interest of his, but he'd be lying if he said he didn't enjoy House Ashhand. It may have been home to the coldest weather he'd ever felt, but they often had ice trout- a fish that, when roasted the right ways- was so flaky he couldn't imagine anything tasting better. They had fresh tuna every now and then too, farmed off the shores of the short sea. Despite his parents doing so because of tastes they'd acquired on diplomatic trips, House Vraemore had no need to import food- so they rarely did so. He was discovering new tastes and vegetables for himself, some of which he hadn't known existed before arriving.

The whores who lived in House Ashhand's small brothel were pretty enough, and had he not been married, and to the most terrifying girl he'd ever met- he might have paid them a visit. Or two. Maybe three....

Because it was a more densely populated house than the one he'd grown up in, there was an abundance of servants- and any request of his was seen to much faster.

He still hadn't grown tired of the snow, despite how long he'd been on the continent. Some of the servant's children would steal sugar from the kitchen and crush it up with snow and elderberries- but the thought made his stomach churn.

A servant knocked on his door then, letting herself in.

"Everything is prepared, Your grace." The young girl said. "They're waiting for you."

Renard frowned- Nara would never make a thousand people wait, even for their king. Whether they admitted it or not, everybody knew she was the one in charge, His frequent lack of sleep from the nightmares wasn't helping him to process things as quickly as he should, but then it hit him.

It was his feast, in his honor- unlike the other small ones they'd held since receiving trade goods from Kaeles. Of course they wouldn't start without him.

He felt so stupid that he was grateful he hadn't spoken out loud. Servants talked, and a stupid king was of no use to an intelligent queen.

He nodded, nervously pulling at the bottom of his doublet. The thing was incredibly uncomfortable, but he'd always been too nice to pile unnecessary work on people- so he told himself to deal with it. He followed the servant girl out in awkward silence, and as they walked the hallways- the few people they passed would stop what they were doing, a common sigh of respect.

He'd told them not to do that multiple times, but that was a command nobody listened to. Whether it was out of fear or actual respect, he couldn't care less- he just found it annoying.

  Talking and laughter filled his ears as they stood in front of the Great Hall's doors. Renard took a deep breath, gesturing for it to be opened.

  The noise temporarily stopped as they welcomed him. Renard's eyes widened at how many people fit in the Great hall. He'd never seen it full before, and there had to be well over a thousand in attendance. Servants, merchants, guards, children, farmers, Advisors, and hunters were all present- something he'd asked to happen. If he were going to have the privilege of stuffing his face- so would the common people.