Chapter 15

Noveno 18th, 3327 A.G

Later that night, as he were walking by Andre and Imani's room- Renard couldn't help but eavesdrop. It'd always been one of his worst qualities, though it didn't compare to the others.

He pressed his ear to the door just in time to catch the beginning of a conversation, and as it went on- a slight smile crept up his face.

"....do you want to go after this?" He recognized Andre's voice and tried his hardest to keep his breathing quiet.

"Does what I want really matter?" Imania replied. "You have work."

"I could always ask to be made captain over a different trade ship-" The sudden cutoff and wet kissing noises let Renard know she'd shut him up with her lips. "Your happiness is my only priority in life."

"I wish it were that simple-" Imania sighed. "All I've ever wanted was a simple life and .... when I found you it was a simple decision. I could whore myself out to creepy old men with no means of protecting myself if one of them... ever decided to force something I wasn't comfortable with, or I could go with an attractive younger man through the ocean who would kill for me if he had to. I didn't love you at first but...."

Even to Renard, that last sentence stung. He'd seen the way Andre looked at her the past weeks, and he saw the kind of love in his eyes that just couldn't be faked.

"But when I fell for you, some months later- I fell hard. I love you, Andre Hemin." Renard found it difficult to stay quiet after that, but he quickly shoved a hand over his mouth. "I don't think I'll ever stop-"

Renard sucked in a breathe as he heard him flip her so he'd be on top.

"Marry me." Andre's words were simple but carried a deep significance, especially in a continent where love marriages were almost unheard of. Silence emanated from the room for almost thirty seconds, and Renard could see the look on her face. She cleared her throat before replying.

  "You would marry a whore? Lower your status like that?" Imania's voice was low, quiet.

  "I lowered my status all by myself many years ago when I got caught stealing coin from Lord Alymere's advisor and he still loves me. He and his wife married for love-"

  "But she was a lady of Narene's second largest house." Imania sighed. "You are the only person I've ever pictured myself spending my life with but.... I couldn't do that to you. I'm not unknown enough that nobody would blink an eye. People would talk. Word would spread that the trade master- a close friend of Narene's commanding house, married a whore. The people would question his mental state for allowing you to bring him shame like that-"

  "Fuck them all-" Andre interrupted. "I.love.you. I'm not incapable of taking criticism- neither is the family or my sister. Lord Alymere already approves of you as a person- do you really think he'd care about your past?"

  "It's more of a... reality." Imania replied. "Until... a few weeks ago at least."

  As far as Renard knew, she hadn't slept with anybody but them during the journey from Uculia to Narene. Not that it was any of his business.

  "I could ask for a position by the lord's side as an advisor on trade. I'm almost certain he'd give it to me. We could have a small cottage built within the walls- or he may just invite us to live in the house along with his other advisors and their families. If you are that worried.... It could be a secret wedding. Nobody would know unless we told them and nobody bats their eye at an 'unmarried' man who brings a 'whore' to live with him."