Chapter 77

Petyr Hilith( Born Ocono 9th, 3285 A.G)

Derun 3rd, 3328 A

Derun 3rd, 3328 A.G

They'd been riding alongside the beaches for thirteen days- the ship following from a safe distance, before Nara's armies finally started to see the signs of nearness- according to a Dedor guard member who used to be a trader.

The greenery had become almost nonexistent days ago, leaves nothing but sand and dirt on the outer edges of Sharean's beaches, but the ground began to slope upwards ever slightly- and they would see small boulders every now and then. Eventually, they had to ride on the beach itself because the ground next to it was too steep for horses to navigate without difficulty.

Then, the greenery slowly started to come back, and the boulders grew larger, closer together until there was one every few paces. At that point, both Tuyon and the Dedor man declared they'd reached House Hilith- the commanding of Sharean.

"There's a path just a little further down of large stones that were forced into the landscape." Tuyon said. "I remember from that one trip your father took to the continent."

"A path that no horses can take." The Dedor man argued. "If you wish to use it, it would be wiser to walk- less you want that creature to stumble and die with your queen on it's back."

For once, Nara said nothing. She only dismounted her horse, grabbed and wore her crown, gesturing for Renard to do the same- then glanced at the giants.

"Uvoq ara yqa." (Walk with me) She said one of the first full sentences of Eurati she'd memorized. The giants complied almost immediately, and all she could think of for a moment was how strangely easy they'd been to deal with so far. There had been no unprovoked attacks, no aggression that she hadn't commanded. She'd even tried to help Renard learn the language so she wouldn't have to command two giants alone, but they'd only stared at him. It only concerned her more each time she remembered the prophecy, which she'd been trying to forget.

The giants mounted the stones with ease, while Nara, Renard, Tuyon and the soldiers they'd taken struggled. As they neared the top, they were able to see the outer streets and buildings of House Hilith- the large main house (which would have once been called a castle) at the end furthest from them.

Nara was struck by how similar the buildings looked to house Ashhand's- since they were all just slightly taller with lighter colors.

There were guards stationed along those outer edges, waiting for something- anything to show up. When they spotted Nara, one whispered to another and disappeared into a white builidng with orange roofing. She didn't have to ask to understand why.

They stood at a distance, far away enough to make the lord walk, waiting. He came out of the building adjusting his breeches, looking around for the woman he'd heard so much about. He'd heard she was young, but hadn't quite understood how young until that moment. To him- she was still a child. He almost laughed then. The lords of Kaeles and Dedor had to be cowards to let themselves be taken over by a woman of her age.

  He hardly gave the giants a glance before making eye contact with Nara and approaching, though he did have enough sense to stop paces away from them.

  Nara took a moment then to look over him. He was almost a head and a half taller, tanned, had short hair that'd just begun to gray, and a clean shaven face. She could have called his eyes green or blue or grey, and any person would have seen each. He was thin- not in a sickly way, but in a tall-and-active way. On the right breast of his thin purple tunic, there was a fabric patch boring House Hilith's seal; flames surrounded by a circle- also know as Joloria's seal.

    Nara frowned. Lord Hilith was the first person she'd met who wasn't even a little afraid of the giants upon his first time seeing them.

  "I have seen night skeletons- multiple of them at once before, and lived to tell the tale." He spoke first. "If you think those things will scare me you are mistaken."

  "Lord Hilith-" Nara started. "We have traveled a long way to negotiate. If you have any beds to spare on any of the streets of your house-"

  "Negotiate?" Petyr Hilith broke into laughter then. "I cannot speak to the intelligence of my near dwellers or the territories you have 'negotiated' with so far- but I am no fool. I've heard the stories. I know why you are here."

  "Then you know I am here to bring a better world to every person in every kingdom." Nara replied without emotion. "Can you say the same?"

  "Excuse m-"

  "If I walk through those streets- will I find starving children? Starving farmers even, who are told they cannot eat their own food unless they pay their commanding lord a tax?" Nara interrupted. "I too have heard stories about you. Information comes easy to me with the man who has traveled all over the world at my side. Tell me, Lord Hilith- if I step inside that whorehouse right there or the one three doors down on the right, what conditions will I find? Women on flea ridden straw sacks with rare access to baths? Rib bones sticking out because they haven't eaten in days? A boy or two no older than my ward?"

"Aye. Both of which have stared to grow hair under their arms- making them men by the laws of Sharean." Petyr calmly shrugged. "We despise child fuckers as much here as any other territory."

  "Those boys are still children-" Nara began angrily, only to be interrupted.

  "They are not."

  "When I take this kingdom, any person who wishes to leave those horrid places may do so- and those who choose to stay will be granted far better working conditions-"

"Let me tell you a story about my people." Lord Hilith took a single step forward. "We are brutal when we have to be and fiercely loyal to our own. If you believe you'll be able to take my territory without a fight, Mi'lady- you are mistaken."

  "I am a queen-" Nara started to correct, but lord Hilith only laughed again.

  "I will never kneel to you." He said. "You are nothing more than a conqueror, Mi'lady."