Chapter 82

Derun 9th, 3328 A.G

  By Nara's logic, it was safer for Maude to be the scout than fight- despite the things she saw and how capable she was with sharp things. She'd lept behind the rocks again, and was stuck again for a far different reason- one that actually made her life flash before her eyes. She thought she'd be able to take one or two soldiers, maybe even three- but there were thousands and she couldn't see onto the small field between House Hilith and the hill.

She could make a run for it and hope for the best, but while she'd been behind her boulder, Sharenian soldiers had moved around in such a way that they'd be able to spot her if she leaped back behind the one closest to her back.

  They had a plan of their own; she just couldn't tell what. Every now and then a soldier who seemed exhausted would appear to ask for something , and four or five would disappear to oblige-  only to come back a few dozen moments later. So many things popped in her head, from bluefire dragons to barrel bombs- but she quickly dismissed the thought. They were banned because of the Great War, and none had dared to break that law. Yet- Maude hoped.

  She watched for a few moments longer, waiting on anything new to happen before she gave up. It'd been the same pattern for nearly an hour and her legs were in pain from sitting on them so long. She knew she'd stumble when she stood- but she had to at least try.

  And so she did.

  She made it two paces before they gave out under her, grateful that the noise above masked that of her fall, and that the grass was high still. After a few moments of dragging herself along the dirt, she hears someone yell "Scout!!" And knew it was time to run. She could do that- if her legs would behave.

  Pain had started to shoot up them, yet it'd become the type she could tolerate- so she hit the inside of her mouth and started to sprint.

  It'd been so long that she almost forgot how good it felt to run- though the last time, it hadn't been for her life. An arrow passed by her ear once, so close she could feel the wind in her hair. Some passed her arms and legs,but none ever pierced her skin.

  She relaxed only when she was out of range, but her heart still beat as it did when the arrows got close. When it finally slowed- she walked to the strategy tent.

  Nara's head immediately snapped up. "My gods- what took you so long? Are you hurt-"

"It looks like they're preparing to attack. They've got at least fifteen hundred soldiers just above the hill- could be their entire forces.... It was hard to tell." Maude said. In some places there appeared to be rows of soldiers, but she couldn't really tell. The first line and the hill had obscured her view.

  Nara swallowed, making eye contact with Andre.

  "Each soldier is armed and waiting for an attacker in their tents?" She asked.

  "Of course-" he glanced at Tuyon then. "We made sure of that ourselves."

It'd been a tedious task, walking around like everything was normal while using the agreed upon signal- two tongue clicks, to check if each soldier was prepared- but they'd done it. Knowing that the camp was probably being watched when they couldn't see what was going on at the top of the hill because of how it sloped made them nervous- but they'd done it. Unless the soldiers had actually been stupid enough to fall asleep, they would be ready.

Nara pressed her lips together. "And do you remember what we talked about... Andre?"

  The conversation was a short one, and he'd been listening- but he hadn't listened as intently as Nara would have liked.

  "Of course-" He shrugged. "Harm no woman or child."

  If they were in a place that had women as soldiers, she would have told him to harm no woman who didn't try to harm him- but this was Sharean. There were no women soldiers and very few children under ten fighting.

  "What else?" She said, as that hadn't been it.

  "Harm..... no man that surrenders." Andre sighed.

  Nara stepped forward a pace, close enough for him to really get her- and for those in the tent to stare. Imania took another sip of wine, while Maude poured herself some. "Do you think you are capable of keeping that promise right now, or do I need to put you under an oath?"

  He let out a short, small laugh- and one side of his mouth turned up for only a second. "As long as those giants of yours can keep my wife safe I will stay sane."

  Then, Imania was grabbing his arm from behind. "I will be fine- but you aren't. Stay in the-"

  "No." He shook his head. "I will not be fine for a very, very long time. Might as well kill something in the meantime."

"Perfect-" Renard interjected, not wanting to listen to the beginning of a fight. "Every sword counts. There's nothing left to do but wait then."

  And wait they did. They waited so long that a discussion of whether they were the ones being tricked or not began- until Maude put a finger to her lips. Slowly, the younger ones began to hear what could only be described as a cow herd tiptoeing far away. Moments later, the first sword clashes began, also far away- and after a few moments it sounded like they'd moved out of the tents.

  "It's time-" he grabbed his own sword off of the tent's bottom cloth. "I will still strongly advise against the two of you fighting."

  "And I will still say this very strongly-" Nara said. "Go to the highest hell."

  She hadn't worn breeches and a thin-sleeved shirt to not move around in them. She hadn't sharpened her sword and dagger to let them sit on the ground while others were being used. And so she grabbed her sword and sword sheath, her quiver with both the bow and arrows stuffed inside- sheathed the sword at her hip and swung the bow over her shoulder. Renard had both as well,  and Andre grabbed both just to be sure he was always armed.

  He kissed Imania for only a moment then, and they left- Andre, Tuyon, Nara, and Renard- leaving only Maude and Imania in the tent. Tuyon thought about Mace and Uwen- mostly Uwen then. Their tents were on that far side of camp, where most of the fighting was happening at the moment- and he had let himself grow far too attached to a soldier.

  They passed by the giants, just next to the door- and Nara stopped for only a moment. As they'd predicted, the fighting was slowly moving outside of the tents, spreading across camp. Each soldier had slowly been briefed on the plan to ensure the Sharenian suspected nothing, and so far it seemed to be working.

  She made eye contact with both of the giants then.

  "Auyoq cav." (Stand here.)