13: A spies secret

"Yuri, WAKE UP!" Yujin groaned in frustration.

The chocolate chip pancakes in the kitchen were calling them. But Yuri was still sleeping and refusing to wake up, no matter how noisy they were. 

"Maybe we should pour ice water on her" Wonyoung suggested mischievously.

"No, no, no" Yena added, which was weird, since Yena normally loved pranking people. "I have an idea" She sat down next to Yuri and whispered something in her ear.

Yuri awoke with a start.

"Geez, it's about time" Wonyoung said.

"What did you say?" Chaewon asked.

"A girl never reveals her secrets" Yena responded.

They ate breakfast and then went out to watch some TV. Yena and Yuri started a debate about which character was better, and at the end, the arguments were downright silly, and everyone was laughing. But alas, soon it was time to go.

Once the 4 spies were out, they were all grinning. 

"That was so much fun" Yena said.

"Yeah" Yujin agreed. 

They all fell silent. The boss would kill them if he heard them say that. They would probably say "This is a mission!! Have fun some other time!" And if they actually formed connections with the girls, they could forget it. 

"We... don't have to tell him, right? It's just another mission?" Sakura suggested nervously.

The girls nodded. 

But as Chaewon turned on her walkie talkie, she felt weird. She had never lied to the boss before. It would only get in the way of missions.

You're not lying. You're just...withholding

"Did the mission go successfully?" The boss asked.

"Yup! No one suspected a thing" Yena said proudly. 

"And, Minju gave me a friendship offer!" Chaewon added. 

Sakura, Yena, and Yujin shot her confused glances, but didn't say anything. "You accepted?" 

"Naturally"

"Good, good. Now listen. We haven't been able to get any more Intel about what the MS will be planning next. So for now, your job is to stay close to Minju and her friends and jump at any sign of danger. If we get new information, you will be the first to know. Good luck"

As soon as they had hung up, the girls turned on Chaewon. 

"When did Minju give you a friendship offer?" Yena asked.

"In the kitchen,  while the cupcakes were baking" Sakura answered.

"You knew?" Yujin asked.

"No, I was just making an estimated guess. That was the only time you two were alone, and you were in a good mood when you brought the cupcakes out"

"She's right" Chaewon nodded. "Guys... I have something to tell you"

She explained to her friends that she feared she was forming a real friendship with Minju.

"Don't worry..." Sakura said. She seemed to shrink a bit "I... feel the same way with Chaeyeon"

"Me too, with Yuri" Yena admitted 

"Me three,  with Wonyoung"  Yujin added. 

"So, you're not alone" Yena gave her a comforting smile. 

"I just don't understand how this happened. We've done tons of missions with kids our age before. Why should these ones be different?" Chaewon was pacing now.

"I don't know why, but we'll figure it out" Yujin smiled "Together"