Chapter 6: Tragedy Struck

Landon drove home slowly trying to think how he was going to break the news to Caleb. Caleb had always been like a son to him and his dad was a dear friend. Just trying to process what actually happen was beyond him, let alone how Caleb will take it...

——————

"I wonder when dad is gonna be back..." Liam said as he sat on the couch with Luke, Mike, and Caleb.

"Hopefully soon, news said the incident is pretty much over." Luke replied. "Though probably a lot of paperwork. But he could..." Luke stopped as he heard the garage door open and all boys sat up on the couch.

Landon walked inside with tears running down his cheeks. He looked over and saw all 4 boys sitting on the couch anxious to what happen.

"Luke and Mike go downstairs now please." Landon manage to say. Mike quietly got up and started for his room, but Luke just sat there looking questionably at his dad. "That was not a request Lucas Stewart." Luke then followed suit to Mike and went to Mike's room.

"Dad what is wrong?" Liam asked as soon as both Mike and Luke were in the basement. Landon just looked at his son and then to Caleb before sitting down and giving his son a hug a kiss on top of the head. Landon then grabbed hold of Caleb into a tight bear hug and choking out the words,

"Caleb... I am so sorry buddy..." both Liam and Caleb looked to each other not fully comprehending what was going on but fearing that Caleb's dad was a casualty. "I do not know how to tell you son, but your dad... your dad was taken out by the FBI..." Landon let out in a whimper.

Caleb immediately began to weep and start to dry heave from crying so hard. Liam was hugging Caleb through his dad crying while asking why and how.

"Caleb before I tell you this I want to let you know you have always been just like a son to me, and now you are one of my sons. I love and care about you same as I do Liam, Luke, and Mike. Your dad... Your dad was distraught over something and took a the terminal hostage. When I arrived on scene I tried talking him down. It seemed I was not helping much but I was making way. Next thing I know I heard a shot that a FBI Agent ordered him to be taken out as he raised a gun towards a mother and her daughter... That is all I know and I was excused from the scene and asked to make the notification to you by the FBI."

Caleb sat there just listening and hanging on every single word... His dad is dead after taking people hostage at the airport. He was now sitting on the floor rocking back and forth with Landon holding him tight and Luke rubbing his legs when he looked up to Landon and asked him why. Landon looked like he was strongly contemplating on what to say before answering,

"It is not fully known why yet but..." Landon was interrupted with a phone call. "Hey Mary" Landon said answering the phone.

"Please tell me Caleb is ok... Does he know?? Are you ok?? WHAT THE HELL HAPPEN!!" Mary screeched into the phone.

"Yes he knows. Sorry I should have called and talked to you first... No I do not think he is ok. I am not doing so hot myself. I can tell you more in person or on the phone when we are alone." Landon replied to her.

"Put me on speaker..." Mary requested. Landon put the phone on speaker right as Mary spoke softly, "Caleb sweetie are you ok?"

"When are you gonna be home?" Caleb replied.

"I am on my way home now. I should be there in 3 hours." Mary told her son.

"Can we not go home and just stay at Landon's when you get here?" Caleb asked, not wanting to be away from Liam or Landon.

"Mary I am ok if you stay a few days or however long you need." Landon promptly replied.

"Yes sweetie we can stay there for a few days. Landon I want you to tell me what happen and why. Caleb is old enough that he needs to hear this. I am sure Luke is there with him and I know you both will comfort him." Mary said.