Chapter 8: The Voicemail Dilemma

Mary awoke suddenly and quickly realized where she was. On Landon's couch with her diapered teen son sucking on a pacifier cuddled up next to her. She smiled as she gently sat up and looked at the time. It was 3 am and she seen a light still on in what Mary knew to be Landon's study.

Mary gently got up, careful not to wake or disturb her son. Mary went to the bathroom and before going back to the couch she decided to go check on the light.

Mary found Landon slumped over in the chair in his study and a partially drank glass of whiskey with Landon's phone next to it.

"Landon... Landon you ok?" Mary spoke softly with no response. Mary then softly nudge Landon on the shoulder and spoke again, "Landon you ok?"

"Lizzy?" Landon jolted upwards saying.

"It is Mary, Landon." Mary replied.

"Sorry Mary just... I uh... Bad dream is all..." Landon lied.

"Uh huh... Well I was just checking in on you since you slumped over in the chair. Everything ok?" Mary asked.

Landon gave a disgruntled look before looking up and reached for his whiskey glass for a drink, but thought better of it and grabbed his cell phone instead. He then asked Mary to close his study door and then played the voice mail for her. After it was done Mary gave Landon a hug before speaking,

"I am so sorry Landon. Is there anything I can do to help or make things better?"

"You can help me figure out how the hell I am going to tell the boys. And have Caleb be there for Liam. And... And I don't know what else." Landon exclaimed. Landon then started to sob while Mary rubbed his back.

Unbeknownst to Landon or Mary, Liam was right outside the study door and heard all of the voicemail. Liam had woken up and wanted to see where Caleb was and to get a bottle of water. When he saw that Caleb was on the couch and heard voices in the study he decided to listen and regretted after he heard the voicemail.

Liam did not know what to think or do. His mom wanted nothing to do with him cause of who he loved and what he loved. All he could do is start to cry. Liam decided he should go to his room before he was seen. He quickly left and practically leapt down the steps before closing his bedroom door.

"Landon I will gladly do whatever I can. Caleb can stay here as long as you want or need. I trust you more than anyone and know how close Liam is with him. With what happen to Greg and my diagnose... Landon I know this is a bad time but we need to talk about it all. Is there a way we can go somewhere to talk tomorrow and see what we can come up with?"

"I think that would be a good idea.We both have a lot to discuss now more than ever." Landon said. Mike woke up to a noise he didn't quite recognize till he rubbed the sleep from his eyes. He heard music playing and what sounded like low sobbing. Mike pressed his hear to the wall that Luke shared with Liam and noticed it was coming from Liam's room. Mike thought about maybe going over to Liam's room but thought Liam might be in there with Caleb. Mike also thought of waking up Luke but didn't want to.

Mike decided he would peak into Liam's room. Mike went out of Luke's room and tiptoed next door to Liam's room and ever so slightly cracked the door. When Mike opened the door he seen the tv was on and a game was paused and only Liam was in the room curled up on his bed.

"Dad?" Luke said in a sobbing tone as he heard his door creak.

"Uh, no it's Mike. Sorry I heard a noise. I will go back to bed..." Mike replied in a worry tone. "Unless you want me to stay?"

"Come here." Liam told Mike with a sniffled raising his arm to wipe his nose and eyes.

Mike opened the door more and then shut it behind him thinking Luke would still want privacy with whatever was going on.

"What's wrong Liam?" Mike asked in a hushed worry tone.

"My mom left us." Liam replied with a sob. Mike didn't quite understand what he meant, but knew he should embrace his friend.

Mike gave Liam a big hug and just held him there which seemed like an hour but in reality was only a few minutes before Liam spoke softly,

"You cannot tell Luke. Dad needs to be the one to tell him. I shouldn't even know..." Liam curled his head into Mike.

"Liam I don't want to ask but what do you mean by your mom left y'all and how did you find out?" Mike asked regretting it the second he said it cause of the sob that Liam let out.

"I woke up and was thirsty and went to get something to drink. I saw Caleb on the couch curled up and heard someone in my dad's study, it was Mary and dad." Liam said through tears. "Dad was upset and played a voicemail for Mary and it was my mom. She wants nothing to do with Luke or me because we are gay and are diaper lovers..." Liam purposely left out the part where his mom mentioned Mike. He did not want to burden him with it as he never even met the woman.

Mike squeezed Liam tight and rocked him back and forth with occasional kiss on top of the head. The same thing Liam had done for him. Mike did not know what else to do so he just held Liam the best he could. He seen a pacifier he recognized as Liam's and reach over to the nightstand and grabbed it and popped it into Liam's mouth. Liam sighed and Mike realized he was falling back asleep. Mike soon followed still holding onto Liam comforting him.

********* AUTHOR'S NOTE *********

Sorry this took so long and this is a little shorter than the others. I been going through some health issues along with some family drama so time and inspiration to write have been low. I hope all is well and that you enjoyed this chapter. More to come soon (I hope soon but definitely more to come) and as always huggles to all!! - BoBo Bear