afterglow

afterglow- taylor swift

set around season 4, their doing the clinical trial but their starting their dating relationship

When Derek left the bedroom and to his car, Meredith thought it was her fault. That she caused the fight. As much as she was trying to use the mechanisms she learned in therapy about to have a healthy relationship and not close herself off. But again the thoughts that this small stupid fight was her fault was her anxiety taking over her brain. That he was going to breakup with her.

Tell me that you're still mine
Tell me that we'll be just fine

So Meredith just stayed in the bedroom and was anxiously playing with her pillow. A part of her was waiting for Derek to say "I'm breaking up with you." But they both wanted this to work. A couple nights ago, they had a long conversation about what they need to improve to help make their relationship work long-term.

Communication was the first thing they both said that needed to be worked on. If any relationship wanted to last long-term, communication was one of the biggest factor that helped determine if the relationship was healthy or toxic. Instead of bottling up and avoid Derek, Meredith got her shoes on grabbed a bottle of wine, and her keys and went out to her car.

Even when I lose my mind
I need to say

Driving down to Derek's land was about a 45 minute ride from her house. Since she had been down to the land so many times for nights at the trailer it felt like nothing and the drive was super quick. But now this 45 minute drive felt like a 4 hour drive. Just everything was moving in slow motion. Just taking what seemed like forever to get there. Her heart rate was racing. Her palms were sweaty. She has the fear her knocking on Derek's trailer and he tells her that it's over. That their relationship is over and there are going to be no more do-overs. That was her biggest fear him breaking up with her, and him dying and she loses him forever.

...

After what felt like a drive that took forever, she saw the moon glisten over the lake that was near the trailer. The view Derek gets of Seattle every single morning and night. When she got out of her car, she wanted to take a moment and look over the view. There were a stars visible in the sky and Meredith was just in awe. But then she had to remember why she was there. To. make sure her and Derek were alright.

Walking up to the front step, Meredith wanted to leave and just go back home but opted to stay there and make sure that they were alright. She took a deep breath and knocked on the door. With the bottle of wine in her arm, she thought it could be a peace offering.

When the door opened, it reveled a Derek in a sweatshirt and sweatpants. As if he was sleeping before.

"Meredith?" He said, kinda surprised.

"Oh. Sorry. I- I didn't know what it meant after you left so I- I got a bottle umm wine. Yes wine. Peace offering." She rambled.

"Oh." Derek awkwardly nodded.

"So I'm sorry for whatever happened before."

"Mer we were both tired and snapping at each other." Derek softly said.

"Oh? So we not breaking up?"

"No!" Derek slightly laughed, only to receive a smack on the shoulder from Meredith. "Why would we break up over laundry? But out of all the reasons we broke up, laundry is pretty low."

"You stormed out the house." Meredith pointed out.

"But to give us some air. Space." Derek explained. "Come in. You're cold. You're shivering."

"No. I'm fine. I'll let you go back to sleep."

" No. I would want you to come in. Besides you can have some wine"

"But I need to drive home." Meredith said, sitting down on his bed.

"Stay the night."

"Really?"

"Meredith. We've had many sleepovers at your house, my trailer. Who cares?"

"We just started dating and we wanted to take it slow."

"Okay if your going to make this dirty by implying about taking it slow and how we can't do sex every night, let's do it like this." Derek said. "Meredith I want you to stay at the trailer tonight because I don't want you driving out back to your house in the dark like this."

"Better." Meredith nodded.

"Do you want some wine?" Derek asked, grabbing 2 wine glasses out.

"Sure."

"So what made you think we were going to breakup when I left?" Derek asked, handing her the glass.

"You were angry and stormed out." She listed off, counting off her fingers.

"Again, I left to give us space. A breather. We need those in relationships. I also left before one of us would say something we would regret."

"I see." Meredith nodded.

"There's more you want to ask." Derek stated.

"I-How?" She stammered.

"You have a look on your face. So tell me."

"I- fine. I'm a girl with abdoment issues." She started to say.

"Yes." Derek nodded.

"You can't leave like that because then you're goin g to make me think we're going to breakup or you're going to leave me like tonight."

"Meredith, I promise I am never going to leave you. You are the love of my life. So you're stuck with me." Derek said, cupping her face and kissing the top of her head.

"I love you." Meredith said, leaning her head onto his shoulder.

"I love you more."

just a cute little one-shot of them working on their issues in their relationship. if you have any ideas please let me know