call it what you want

call it what you want- taylor swift

Today was Meredith's birthday, and she seemed to be the most difficult person to get gifts for. In all of Derek's past relationships and marriage all they wanted was the most expensive  jewelry or latest purse. But Meredith didn't like that kind of stuff. If you got her a bottle of tequila or strawberry ice cream, she would be forever grateful. Derek could easily get her those anytime of the year and he wanted Meredith to feel special. With Ellis Grey as a mother and a father who walked out when they were 5, birthdays are never an important thing. So Derek wanted to make up all the lost birthdays she had with this birthday. Her 33rd birthday. Since he took the day off to get her a gift, and make her birthday special, he decided to rope Mark into this. When Derek met up with Mark at the mall, Mark did not look like a happy camper.

"I still don't get why I needed to be involved with this." Mark groaned. 

"Because I'm sure you'll need some ideas to steal for when you need to do this for Lexie." Derek laughed.

"Oh yeah. World renouned neurosurgeon struggling to get his girlfriend a gift."

"it's not that. She's just impossible to get gifts. It's nice I don't have to ear about purses and the latest fashion where the credit card is used to get $200 worth if clothes. But it's impossible to get her something nice because she doesn't like that kind of stuff." Derek rambled, picking up on that because of Meredith.

"Well She if you want to be a chick, I'm leaving." Mark laughed. "Isn't there something she'd wear like jewelry or something?"

"Hates it. Only wears the wrist watch." 

"Oh."

"Yup." Derek nodded, standing in-front of the Tiffany & Co.

"You want to get her something from Tiffanys?"

"Yes. It's a long story on it but I've looked online and I know what I'm getting her."

"If you say so." Mark shrugged, following Derek into the store. 

...

After getting the gift, Derek wanted to get bag from another store so Meredith wouldn't see. Even though she was at work, Derek still wanted to get another bag incase she's home early. But when Derek got home, he started to write a letter for her. All handwritten and not typed. By the end of it, his hand was sore and crampey but it was 100% worth it. He also ran out to the dollar store to get balloons. Then out to the grocery store for a chocolate cake. As Derek was picking out the cake, he was thinking back to their little debate about what was better. Chocolate or vanilla. Meredith said chocolate while he said vanilla. Not that it was a big deal but Meredith made it a bigger deal and tried to reason with Derek that 'vanilla is bland and gross and simple and basic'. He was about to get her a vanilla cake but decided he would rather want to live another day and picked up the chocolate cake. 

After checking out, Derek went to also get balloons. He got her some of the cheesy little girl ones with crowns and butterflies on it but also he got some normal happy birthday ones. On his way back to the house, Meredith had called him saying she needed to finish some charts then she'd be on her way. Which gave Derek about an hour or so to get ready for her surprise. He set up the balloons and left the cake in the fridge till she was closer home. He had gotten her a couple other gifts but hid the one that meant the most so she wouldn't see. 

When he finished setting up, he now just had to wait. That was the hardest part of all this. The waiting game. But Meredith just called and said she was leaving.

"Hey." Her voice greeted into Derek's ear through the phone.

"Hey."

"I'm on my way back so if you want to watch a movie or something we can."