chapter 11

I stare at the gift and smile sadly, reminiscing the day I hurt her emotionally, I don't want to cry but my tears had its own way to fall down.

I'd have lost my chance, if I had just ignored him...

I slowly opened the gift that showed a letter with an orange withered rose, when I saw the rose. I remembered it was the same rose at my lockers every other day but the difference is that the one I'm holding now is withered and some of the petals fell off.

I took out the letter and open it

"Hey Sana-shi, it's just a simple wish for your upcoming exam, do your best. There are lots of things my heart wants to pour into this white paper but i just wanted to tell you Sana I love you so much, someday you'll know it's not just a word but I actually love you wholeheartedly. Okay I won't take enough of your time, I know this letter sounds too old school but hopefully if it reaches you, then just remember that I love you to the moon and back.

Faithfully, Lisa"

It had been six months since Lisa and I had separated. After that, I just lost contact with her. I was curious as to how she was doing, where she was, and even if she was okay.

I stare at the brown box in front of me that contains silly notes, encouraging notes, drawings of me and some other sketches you don't want to know about, an album of printed photographs, and finally... some unopened notes from Lisa.

Yes I kept everything she had given, only the things I could store and look at if I wanted to look back at it...

When I went home that day, it felt strangely weird to see some stuff missing. I looked around everywhere except for her room, knowing that she's probably asleep.

As hours passed by, I decided to go inside her room to check if she was still asleep. To my surprise, Her room looked.. Neat, as if it was the day she was moving in.

I cautiously entered her room to see that her stuff was gone, her sheets were still here, her bean bag and a small succulent plant.

Looking around the clean room, I noticed a black shoebox in her closet.

Quickly getting the box down, there was a brown envelope on top. But up to this day, it still hasn't been open.

I gathered all of my courage to slowly open the brown envelope,

"June 12, 2020" I started off that date... The day where I didn't know it was our last night out... If I hadn't gone home first would I be able to spend more time with her?

The last night together

"Did you know stars lie?" She started, taking a step back at the telescope

"When the stars lie." Sana looked at her confusingly. "People tend to believe lies, just because people told different stories, or versions of themselves. Just likes stars."

"Well if you don't believe me, take a look" she gestured toward the telescope with a flippant wave, as if she hadn't just destroyed my entire worldview with a single statement.

I stepped up to the giant telescope nervously and peered into the eyepiece. The most powerful optics ever designed coordinated to funnel light from a thousand galaxies away. I reeled back and sat down on the ground, hard.

Beyond the distant lights, beyond everything I had studied and known, there was a single word suspended in the black:

Buffering