Chapter One: Back Again

I jolted awake, still hearing the scream. I looked around frantically for my phone to check what time it was. 10:18 A.M. I sighed with relief. I didn't start work at the grocery store until 12:30 P.M. so I have plenty of time to get ready. But my thoughts were cut off when I heard another scream, this time filled with joy and excitement. I rubbed the bridge of my nose before rising out of bed and giving a big stretch.

Scratching my back, I walked out of my bedroom and yawned as I entered the living room. There wasn't much walking involved. I live in a shabby apartment with a horrible landlord. But it was all I could afford and was the best option. Not for me, but for my niece. She was the one who was screaming at the TV because one of her favorite commercials had come on. My brother had an affair behind his wife's back and his Mistress gave birth to my niece, who is named Sandy. She will be turning 6 soon. The reason why she lives with me is that her mother gave up all rights to her, and a few weeks after that, my brother got into an accident and died.

Sandy doesn't remember this of course because she was only a newborn at the time. So I have been a replacement of a parental figure. And she calls me 'Baba'.

"Baba, Baba look!" She giggled as she pointed at the screen. I was busy pouring my coffee when I looked up at the TV to see what she was so hyped about. Turns out, the 'Freddy Fazbear Pizza' diner got replaced with a 'Freddy Fazbear Mega Pizzaplex'. This time with a few new animatronics and a whole bunch of places to hang out and have fun.

"I wanna go there, Baba!" Sandy said, literally jumping out of her seat.

"Sure looks like fun doesn't it, pumpkin?" I said as I picked her up and twirled her around. Maybe we can visit after I'm done with work. I need to contact your babysitter."

"I don't have one anymore, remember?" She was right. I had completely forgotten. Our last babysitter decided to take a break due to being pregnant and close to the due date. Fuck.

"There's a daycare inside the MegaPlex," Sandy said, pretending to look like she was urging me to take her there. I looked at the time. 10:49. And the place was all the way across town. "Let me get ready really quick okay?" This caused Sandy to giggle and nod. "As fast as a rabbit," she pitched in.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I pulled into the parking lot of the MegaPlex at 12:10. I cursed under my breath. My workplace was 15 minutes away, and unless I broke the law, I might not make it in time. I grabbed Sandy's hand and we rushed inside. She didn't seem to mind, all that was on that small brain of hers was excitement. I chuckled as we walked through the doors. I looked around for the signs to the daycare, and when I finally found the door, it was cracked open to reveal a slide with the words, "Slide into FUN =D" above it. I'm assuming this slide led to the daycare since other kids had gone down earlier.

"Okay Sandy," I said, bending down so I was at her height as I grabbed both of her arms. "I love you so so so MUCH!" I cupped her face and started planting kisses all over like my parents used to, this caused her to giggle. "Be nice to the caretaker, okay?"

Sandy nodded, "Of course! Sundrop is the best." I chuckled at her words as I shooed her to the slide. Once she slid down, I could hear a loud, metallic voice boom, "A new friend! Welcome, welcome! I'm Sundrop and you are?"

I sighed as I slapped both sides of my face. It was time to get to work and hopefully not be late. 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I rushed around the store frantically. Stocking shelves, ringing up customers, marking things down, etc. I was exhausted and worried about how Sandy was doing and if she made any friends. I missed my little girl. Ding ding. The bell by the register went off, signaling someone was there and waiting. I gripped my necklace as I headed to the till and kissed it. I'll be done soon, I thought before putting my professional smile face on and helping them out.

After filling out the paperwork that needed to get done, I left the building and locked it up, checking the time, I got out at about 9:30 P.M. and Sandy was probably wondering where I was. I got into my old junk car and drove 15 minutes back to the MegaPlex. 

I looked around the building until I saw the daycare pickup center, and I walked in. There were building blocks, playsets, toys, crafts, and glitter glue with googly eyes? I laughed, bending over and I heard someone small running toward me.

"Baba!" Sandy screamed as she ran to give me a big embrace. I smiled and hugged her back, oh how I missed my baby. "Hi honey, how was daycare?" I asked her, petting her head.

"It was so much fun! We made puppets, Sunny told us stories, we had naptime! But why were you laughing earlier?"

"Oh I just saw the glitter glue," I smiled at her as I stood up. "This place really is like a daycare." I heard a metal sound behind me and turned to see a 7ft metal clown with a sun for a head that held a permanent smile. "Hello!" He said excitedly. "Are you Sandy's guardian? It's so nice to meet you!!" He held out his robotic hand that was cold to the touch. I accepted it and smiled back, "Thank you! It's so nice to meet you too. Thank you for taking care of my daughter."

"Not a problem," Sun said tilting his head and placing a hand on his hip giggling. "I love kids and puppets, and goggly eyes, and lots of glitter glue. Sandy was a great helper today!"

"I'm glad to know she behaved well," I said looking back at her as she scoffed, mumbling "I promised I would be."

I ruffled her hair and turned back to Sun. "Thank you once again," I said tilting my head a bit with a slight smile still on my face. "I'll be sure to bring her by tomorrow."

"Woo! New friends! Can't wait for tomorrow already!" He said spinning around until he dived back into the ball pit. He stood up and waved toward us, "Byeeeeee~!"

Sandy and I waved back before leaving and heading to the car. "Excited to go back?" I asked Sandy as we started pulling out of the parking lot. "Yeah! I drew a picture!" Looking in the rear view mirror I saw the picture was of her and Sun, which made me smile. She didn't talk about other kids, but I'm glad she's at least comfortable with her caretaker. That's all I could ask for.