Chapter Five: Naptime

"And so, Ariel got her voice back and had a beautiful wedding with Prince Eric, then lived happily ever after. The End." I said, finishing up reading the little mermaid to a group of kids all huddled around me in a circle. "Now kids, it's time for nap time."

"Awwww," they groaned as they rose to their feet, rubbing their eyes sleepily, as they started stumbling to the naptime room. I chuckled under my breath as they went, watching Sun come over to me carrying Sandy in a cradle position. "Quite the bunch," he said, watching them all lay down their mats. I nodded, taking Sandy from his hands and holding her. "Quite the tired one too. A lot calmer than the groups the past few days."

Sunny chuckled. "They're only like that because of you."

"Because of me?" I asked in bewilderment. "No way. I'm hardly doing anything at all."

Sun shook his head, "Whenever they get too rowdy you get them calm with just a few stories. All I know how to do is match their energy until they tire out."

"Doesn't that drain your battery?" I asked, causing him to shake his head. "We have a pretty long-lasting one," he told me. "To make sure we don't power off in the middle of watching kids. It was much needed before we had a daycare manager and now, we have you."

I felt my cheeks heat up, I was never good with compliments, and getting some from a robot? He probably has it programmed in his wire-filled brain. I shook my head brushing it off. "I'll watch the kids if you'd like, so you can charge your battery."

This caused his head to jerk in my direction, "No-no-no. You should sleep too. I'm a robot, I don't need sleep." I tilted my head to the side as I shrugged it off, carrying Sandy to the nap room to rest. She struggled to let go for the most part, but relaxed and almost seemed to sink into the mat as she pulled the blanket over her head.

"Okay," I whispered to Sun as I turned around, seeing him standing in the doorway. "I'll take the second watch. No negotiations." I propped up a chair on the back wall and grabbed myself a blanket to cover my body with. And suddenly it was pitch black. I was still awake, having not fallen asleep that fast, but I heard something quietly stalking around and I knew that it was not Sun anymore.

With a sounding thud right next to me, I knew that whoever it was had taken a seat by my side. I peeked from the corner of my eye to see two red lights shining in the darkness. "Naughty naughty~," a robotic voice said, less energetic than Sun's and a lot more raspy and cold. "Why are you still awake, Y/N?"

I sighed, "You noticed?" and from that, I could sense the movement of a nod.

"That I did," he said. "Why haven't you gone to sleep yet? Surely Sun warned you about what happens when you stay up during naptime?"

"Not a clue," I replied.

"Maybe you stayed up. . . to meet me?" After his words, silence filled the air. Neither of us spoke for a good solid two minutes before I released a deep exhale. "Don't get your smile in a twist, only children and old people can fall asleep that fast."

This seemed to take him back before letting out a deep rumble for a chuckle. "I'm Moon. It's nice to meet you."

"Y/N," I replied yawning. "Nice to meet you too."

"Would you like a lullaby?" He asked, causing me to quietly snort.

"Sorry sorry, yes I would love one."

And so he sang;

"Oh, how the sun and moon twirl in the sky,

spinning and spinning, why oh why?

Trapped in this never-ending dance escapade,

Forever dancing together but never in mind,

Swayed by the heart and lost in time.

Oh, how the sun and moon twirl in the sky,

twirling and twirling, my oh my.

And just like that, I slipped out of conscience.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

When I awoke, Moon was lightly tapping on the shoulder, saying he'd be back in a bit after charging up Sun. I nodded as I watched him climb into the nets hanging from the ceiling into their room. The kids made no move in their sleep, and I realized that despite this kinda being like alone time on the job, it is also one of the most boring ones.

I leaned back in my chair as I looked to the ceiling, getting lost in my thoughts. This time, they wondered in so many different directions. Hey, remember that embarrassing thing you did in high school? Or, what should I make Sandy and I for dinner? Should I order take-out? I scratched my head in confusion until a little kid woke up and walked toward me, rubbing their eye.

"Mx. Daycare attendant," the little boy said shakingly. "I had a nightmare."

"Awww," I said, lifting up to be a 4-year-old child onto my lap. "Would you like me to tell you another story or sing you a lullaby?"

"A lullaby, please."

I nodded and started recalling how the lullaby Moon sang for me earlier had gone. I then felt a presence once again come and take a seat right by me, taking the child from my arms as we both continued to sing. Moon was now rocking the child back and forth, his eyes now a baby blue as he sang softly to the child until he was asleep once more.

"You're back quick," I whispered, bringing the child back to their mat.

"The battery doesn't take too long to charge up," he replied as I took my seat back in the chair. "And I thought you'd need my help. Seems I was wrong."

"How come you've never talked to me during previous naptimes?" I asked curiously as to why he was just now talking to me.

"I thought. . ." he paused before whispering even quieter, "I thought would scare you off. All of sudden you see a bot with two big glowing red eyes shining and looking directly at you, wouldn't you be a bit scared? I also didn't want to scare you away from Sun. He's really happy you're here. He finally has someone to actually talk to. Someone who isn't me."

That last sentence, almost seemed as if he said it with a whole lot of regret, possibly from the past. So I smiled softly as I patted his shoulder, "You're stuck with me. We might as well get along. Don't you think? I have a feeling we'll get along great."