Chapter Three: New Horizons

When I woke up, it was well past noon and Sandy was nowhere to be found. Neither was Sun. In fact, I was in a completely different place where I had fallen asleep before. Taking a look at my surroundings, I found a bunch of mats, blankets, and pillows stacked neatly against the wall. This must be the nap room, I thought, rising to my feet and having a big stretch. 

I yawned and started heading for the door only to get blinded when I opened it. The nap room was completely dark. No windows but a few lights here and there. My eyes sent a spark of pain from the sudden change. "Oww," I groaned, rubbing my eyes. 

"Baba!" Sandy screamed as a sudden force slammed into me with a huge embrace. "Are you okay? Feeling better now? You sure were tired." She rambled as my eyesight finally came back. I chuckled and bent down to give her a hug back. "Oh my sweet sweet baby," I said cupping her face. "Are you having fun?"

"Yes! I am!" She replied excitedly, but then froze, looking down at the ground. "Does that mean... we have to leave now? Because you're awake?"

I shook my head as I pet her head, twirling her curly hair around my finger. "Of course not sweetie. However, I don't think Baba is really allowed in the Daycare without proper authorization."

"Authoriza-huh?" 

"Oh Y/N you're awake!" Sun said, skipping over. "How did you sleep? Was the mat comfy enough? Sorry, I moved you from our original spot, I didn't want kids jumping and coloring on you."

"It's alright Sun," I said smiling as I stood up. "Thank you."

"Anytime dear friend! Wish I could stay and chat but someone gots to watch the kids."

I nodded at his words. He was right, and it was time for me to leave. "Alright Sandy, I'll be walking around the mall. If you need me, I'll be right here."

"Okay!" Sandy giggled before running off. As I made my way to the exit, I heard a couple of moms whispering. 

"That's the sixth time I've seen that parent drop their kid off this week," one with black hair said. "Their poor child, all their parent does is work, work, work."

I clenched my fist at her words. Not all of us married well of spouses and have high-paying jobs, I snapped. Or at least, I wanted to, but the last thing I needed was to start drama outside of the daycare. The whole mall in fact. 

With only two weeks till Sandy's birthday, I started getting anxious. I wanted everything to be perfect just like how my birthday at six years old was. But with all the bills and student loans that need to be paid, there won't be any money left over to give her that. So I picked up my phone and punched in a phone number.

"Hello, yes is this the MegaPlex Mall? I'd like to ask about the Daycare Manager position."

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

"Please, take a seat Mx. L/N," a man in his late 70s said as he looked up from behind his desk. He was skinny and had a full head of hair. He wore oval glasses and had the brightest blue eyes I have ever seen. "I'd like to start off with my name, you may call me Dean or Mr. D. Why not tell me about yourself?"

I adjusted my clothes, I had gone home half an hour prior to clean myself up for this interview, this was my chance. "Oh, well you know, I like the basic [Insert some things you like] and that's pretty much it, Mr. D."

"Interesting, and you have a kid, I heard?"

"Yes, that is correct."

"Glad to know you have experience with children. Half of the other interviewees are lazy college students looking to make a quick buck. If you do get the job Mx. L/N," he spoke, rising from his seat to give me a handshake, I did the same. "There is only one rule. Keep the lights on."

I walked out of his office after tossing him a quick awkward smile. I didn't ask why, I had a feeling I would find out soon enough.

So I sat in the middle of the mall, my head in my hands as I tried thinking of what to do. The last time I had a day off, Sandy and I went to a diner for breakfast with the little scraps of money I managed to save up. After that, we headed to the park and I just pushed her on the swing. When she was whipped out and tired laying on the couch, I'd let her use my lap as a pillow while I played with her hair. Putting in loose braids, tiny buns, all of that stuff. 

But for the first time in a long time, I was alone. By myself. The idea shocked me. What did I do before Sandy came into my life? It was hard to say, after everything that happened with my brother, all of my friends slowly started to leave me one by one. And on the day I was about to give up all hope, I woke up the next morning with a baby in a basket on my front step. 

"Maybe... maybe I'll have some pizza?" I said, thinking out loud. "Or a slushie, or a burger, or a salad." There were so many different options, and I couldn't decide on anything until something caught my eye. And ice cream shop. I rose to my feet and marched over, there wasn't a huge line, but there was still quite the wait.

"Hello, what can I get you today?" The ice-cream boy asked.

"Hmmm," I thought to myself before deciding on my all-time favorite. [Insert favorite]. The way all the flavors mixed and blended together was immaculate and from the first lick, I knew it was one of the best ice creams I have ever had. What else should I do today? I thought to myself. I should probably ask my boss for more days off in case I get the job. So I pulled out my phone and did just that. I would have three days off, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. And if I get the job I'll work night and day shifts. 

My phone buzzed again. It was from Mr. D. The message read;

"Alright, you're in kid. When can you start?"