Chapter Six: When the Clock Strikes Midnight

The three guys seemed to be in shock as they stood there speechless. Pierce was the first one to recover and greeted us, “Hello, Chief. Melanie. You two look very nice” He nodded at each of us.

He seemed more gorgeous than ever tonight. His black tuxedo fitted him perfectly, and his silver eyes held a little more excitement than usual. Karter looked very cleaned up, too. And Blake seemed very natural in a suit. Maybe his personality was best fit for formal environments, like tonight.

“Thank you, Pierce. All three of you look quite handsome and perfect, too.” I blurted without thinking. I felt my cheeks heat up, and I knew I looked like a tomato. Karter grinned and gave me a wink. It did not make me feel better. In fact, I’m pretty sure my face turned a deeper shade of red.

The five of us walked closer to the dance floor in order to mingle with the other guests. The first few hours were pretty agonizing because we had to go through all the formal introductions and stuff. By the end of the formalities, I felt worn out. Just thinking that there was still three more hours left of the ball made me want to cry. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

Suddenly, someone came behind me and tapped me on the shoulder, “Ms. Cartwright, will you please honor me with your first dance?”

I spun around and grinned, “Of course. It would be my pleasure.” I mimicked Karter’s old fashioned way of speaking and placed my hands in his waiting, extended hand.

He led me to the center of the dance floor, and we faced each other. I stared into his eyes as we took a step closer to one another. Gently, he snaked his arm around my waist and took a hold of my right hand. I placed my left hand on his shoulder.

The music started, and I could tell it was a waltz. I freaked out a little because I had no idea how to waltz. When it came to dancing, I only knew how to jump up and down and step side to side. I was the type of person who preferred to stand at the wall during dances.

Karter seemed to notice the panic in my eyes. He leaned his head closer to mine and brushed his lips against my ear. I couldn’t help but shiver a little at his touch, “Don’t worry, I’m a good leader. Just go along with what I do.” I could almost hear the grin in his voice.

“I’m not sure…” I began to say, but we already began to move. I counted the beats in my head as we started. One, two, three…one, two three…

It turned out that he was actually a great teacher and dancer. We started off with a simple move…I think he called it a box step. And then, he started to do something more difficult.

“What are we doing?” I asked as I accidentally stepped on his foot. “Oh, sorry! I can’t do this!”

“Yes, you can. I am a guy, and I can do it. It just takes some getting used to.” He winced as I stepped on his foot again. “Come on, concentrate!”

I looked down at our feet and noticed a pattern. Back, right, step, turn, forward, left, step, turn, together. Hoping to hammer it in my memory, I chanted that in my head over and over.