Chapter Sixteen: A Day Out in the Sun

The weather outside was amazing. The sun was shining, and it wasn’t too hot or too cold. Usually, I’d be freezing my butt off in the New York weather, but here in California, I don’t even need to wear a jacket in the middle of December.

And that’s why Chief came up with the brilliant plan of going whale watching today. I don’t really mind the whole whale watching thing, but it’s the people I mind. My relationship with everyone here is basically really screwed up, and I don’t think I’ll be able to last a day with this group of people.

First of all, there’s Blake. Sadly, he’s acting like a little kid and still not talking to me. There is the occasional, awkward “hey” and “what’s up,” but other than that, we haven’t had a substantial conversation in a while.

Secondly, there’s Pierce. I think we figured out the whole deal between us, but not talking to him and pretending everything is the same will be hard. Especially if Siri is around….which she will be.

Which brings me to her. I don’t know what to think about her, but I have a feeling that she’s up to something. I don’t know what, but I have this wild guess that it’s not good. And she does seem like a sneaky little…yeah. I’ll stop there.

I guess I could hang out with Karter. I mean, he’s the closest person here I can call a friend (and nothing more). I really like his company, but sometimes, his nonstop talking can get on my nerves. But I guess that’s the whole point. Friends get on each other’s nerves.

And of course, Chief will be there…observing every single move that I make and every interaction with the other people. Don’t get me wrong, I love Chief, but sometimes, it feels like he is judging me. And there is only so much you can talk about with your long lost grandfather.

But other than all the people, I was excited for the trip. I’ve never seen a whale in my life before, let alone seeing it a private boat that my grandfather owned.

When we first arrived at the pier, the smell of the ocean spray filled my lungs. The mix of salt and seaweed was actually quite calming, and it relieved my uneasiness about how the afternoon would turn out.

As the rays of light danced across the surface of the water, I smiled to myself. It was always refreshing to look at water. I know it sounds weird, but just looking at the reflections of light and listening to the soft crashing of the waves never failed to make me happy.

The boat caught my breath as I boarded on the side. It wasn’t quite as luxurious as a yacht, but it was close for a whale watching boat. It was quite large and mainly white. Blue streaks ran down its side like water, and the name of the ship was written in flowing letters. But the name certainly did not match the elegant boat.

Snorting as I read the name, I exclaimed, “Feelin’ Nauti!?!? Who named this boat?”

“What? You don’t like it?” Karter teased as he walked on deck behind me.

“I love it, but did Chief come up with that??” I asked incredulously.