Chapter Thirty-Two: A Ticking Bomb

A/N: Hello readers!! Thank you so much for reading this ♥ I finished writing this story, and there are eight more chapters (including the epilogue). Hope you like this!!

Chapter Thirty-Two: A Ticking Bomb

Pierce’s unusual actions did not let up as the days passed by. Days turned into weeks, and if anything, Pierce’s mood turned even worse. At times, he didn’t even bother covering up his frustration at the world.

I sighed in defeat. What could I possibly to do cheer him up? It’s like I’m walking on a tightrope and one wrong step would send me plummeting down. With every attempt, he manages to shoot me down and pull me into a dark mood. But at least he’s not just snappy at me. He lashes out his anger at anyone who gets in his way or disturbs him.

The tension between us is like a time bomb, just ticking away and ready to explode in our faces at any moment.

“I can’t do this anymore,” Pierce’s tired voice was muffled by his two hands that were covering his face. He rubbed his face in desperation, trying to clear his mind.

I looked around the room, trying to figure out how we managed to get to this point. We’ve had several small confrontations, but nothing seemed as foreboding as this meeting. I had just stumbled into the study room in my house while he was in there. Knowing he wouldn’t be in a good mood, I tried to quietly make my way out of the room without disturbing him. Unfortunately, things didn’t go as I had hoped. He stopped me in my tracks with his vague words.

“This?” I questioned, unable to say anything more. My body was paralyzed and my mind braced for what he was going to say next.

“Yes. This,” He stressed the last word and gestured his hands back and forth between the two of us. “I don’t think it’s a good idea to be together anymore.”

My mind couldn’t process his words. It was like it just shut down and turned numb.

“Why the hell not?” I demanded when I could finally make my mouth form words, needing to know what was going through his mind. I didn’t want to sound like a desperate girl, but it was hard to hide my breaking heart.

“Because,” Pierce didn’t even show any remorse on his face as his eyes met mine. “I can’t concentrate with your constant presence. Having you around is hindering me from reaching my dreams of becoming a doctor.”

I paled. What is this about? What is going on?

“That doesn’t even make sense! You have to tell me exactly what I did wrong! I can’t live with that pathetic explanation. I might even understand what you are saying if you just elaborate a little. Maybe I could even agree with you…seeing that we could barely tolerate each other for the past few weeks!” Even though my heart wrenched at the thought of being around Pierce and pretending nothing happened between the two of us, my mind told me this is what I had to do.

Sighing in defeat, Pierce finally admitted what has been bothering him for the past month. "I've been failing my classes, Mel. I can't possibly afford to waste spending time with you."