Chapter Thirty-Seven: Private Investigator

"Is that even a question?!!" I yelled at Chief in disbelief.

"The doctor said I should think about the surgery very carefully," he responded to me calmly. "He warned me about all the complications. It just doesn't seem like it is worth it..."

I sighed in frustration. "If you don't get the surgery, it might develop into cancer! And then the complications would be even worse."

"It MIGHT develop into cancer. There is still a chance that it won't."

I threw my hands up into the air, annoyed by his responses. Even though I desperately wanted to knock some sense into him, I feel like it would be unethical to hit an old man in a sick bed...especially since we were still in the hospital.

"Chief, I know you are a very smart guy," I started to take a different approach in convincing him. "But I think you lost a serious amount of brain cells because of that fever last week..."

It has been about nine days since we had rushed Chief to the ER and approximately eight days since Pierce and I reported our suspicions about Evander to the police. However, we never got a reply from the law enforcers.

Chief chuckled a bit and then let out a sigh. After a moment, he asked me, "Do you really think I should do it?"

I smiled at him ruefully, "Yes. I need my grandfather in my life, and we've only been united for half a year. The doctor seems to know what he is doing, and I really trust him."

At that moment, the doctor walked into the room. With a large smile on his face, he turned to me, "Thank you for your trust." Then he said to Chief, "There is one thing I can guarantee - you'll be in good hands."

Chief looked between the doctor and I, seeming like he was deep in thought. "Fine. Why not? I'll do the surgery for Melanie."

The doctor smiled and looked at Chief's charts before leaving the room again. I let out a breath of relief and ran over to Chief with a grin. Wrapping my arms around him, I put my mouth to his ear. "Thank you so much for doing this, Chief. I know it's really hard on you, but I feel like this will really help your health."

"I know, I know. I just wasn't 100% sure about everything, but now, I am." I pulled back from him so I could see him talking. "Anyways, don't you have a date with Pierce right now?" Chief's eyes darted to the clock on the opposite wall.

There was a small pang in my chest, but I quickly covered up my emotions in front of Chief. Forcing out a fake laugh, I crossed my arms and gave Chief a pointed look. "Chief! How many times do I need to tell you? I'm not dating Pierce!"

"You were when you angrily stormed out of the mansion right after him..." he rubbed his chin in thought as he remembered that day two months ago.

I rubbed my hands over my face to hide the blush spreading across my cheeks. Groaning in frustration, I refused to either affirm or deny Chief's accusation.