Rules

Rules

Every book club has them. This one is no different.

Always be kind. Please don't be jerks. Try to choose your words well when you give suggestions. Some of the authors are just starting out and we all have been there. So make those suggestions as kind as possible. I will not tolerate mean comments that wants to make the writer want to quit.

Criticism: When you critique someone's book, keep the criticism positive. Suggest a replacement when something doesn't flow right. Don't just say 'it doesn't work' and not leave a suggestion on how to fix it. That is very frustrating to a writer. For the writers, please try to take the suggestions for what it is, a suggestions. No body is telling you to change your book. It's a suggestion. When you get those, think about what is said, sometimes even google the suggestions if you are not sure. We have a lot of strong writers that knows what make a story works and what doesn't. So keep those suggestions at the back of your mind, and really think about it before changing anything to your story. 

Suggestions: Reviewing or critiquing a book might not always be the story line you want, it's not your book, so don't change the writer's story. Just give your honest opinion on characters, setting, plot, grammar for those that can, and overall feel of the chapter. If you don't like a character say why you don't like a character. Sometimes the writers want readers not to like that character, other times it's not their attention and your comment will help them a lot where to fix so that the character is more likable. If you struggle to see the picture, then tell them that. Descriptions of setting are very important in books. If the dialogue felt a bit off, then let them know why the dialogue felt off. It's suggestions that will help writers become better at writing. ALWAYS REMEMBER RULE 1.

#TAG: Remember the #BBBC, or #bbbc either is fine somewhere your comments. It's easier for me to keep the scoring. This one is very important otherwise I'm going to struggle to keep score and update weekly scores. If something is funny, say what is funny. If something is Ewe, say what was Ewe. Emoji's will not be taken as comments. So remember that, only if an emoji is part of a comment, then yes, it will be allowed. But there has to be actual writing in the comment.

Problems: If any problems occur with your reading partner, please pm me. I'll assign a new partner the next week.

Cut off date: Sunday is the last day to add your comments. Please try to do this on Sundays so that I can start on the Monday with the new log sheet immediately and you don't have to wait to read. If you can't read your partner's book PM me immediately please, so that we can sort your partner out. It's frustrating to read someone's work that is part of a book club and their partner doesn't do the same.

Trial Period: There is no trial period with this book club. For new members, I'll try to sort you out immediately with a reading partner if I can, without having to wait an entire week before you start on reading assignments. See how I said try, it all depends on whether there is a partner for you.

Multiple stories: You can add more than one book, but know that if you have a second book, your weekly reads will double.

Missing reads: For those that don't read their books, we will have a catch up period for you the next round to read your partners book and your book won't be added to that list so that you can catch up. Once you have catch up I'll add you to the next round. If you don't catch up that week, you will be kicked off from the book club. 

This is all for now, it might get a revision as we are on the go. Thanks for reading the yucky part of every club.