Chapter 5: Marguerite And Her Bugs

Your dad just put the last dog head in. The door opened and you walked down the steps. You saw a trailer, a gate and a door with red and blue lights coming from them. Your dad got supplies and then you went to the trailer. There was a niceish couch for you to sit on. Your new leg wound made it hard for you to walk so you had a bit of a limp. The phone rang and your dad picked it up. You assumed it was the person he'd been talking to since the beginning. You're pretty sure her name was Zoe. After he hung up he turned to you and said "there's something we need to do, your mom is sick and we need to go get the things to make her medicine so she'll get better. Do you think you can handle that?". "Yeah, I can be strong for mom" you say getting up, putting more weight on your healthy leg. Your dad nodded and you made your way back outside. He brought you to the gate and opened it. You walked the same path your mom did a couple hours ago. When you got in the main door a big bug attacked you and your dad shot it dead. You saw the hole that you saw earlier. You went through the door and saw all of the beehive looking things on the walls. You went to the place where you put the statuette in but it was missing. You went back the other way and into the kitchen area. There was a door that lead out to the swamp area. Your dad found a flamethrower looking thing which would help kill the bugs. You went into the other door and your dad killed some of the nest things with the flamethrower. "Dad, why is this place so infested?" you asked him. Bugs were one of your least favorite things. You remember this one time when you saw a big spider in your room and you screamed. Your parents came running and they laughed when they found out it was only a spider. Your mom picked it up with a paper and a cup and let it outside. Your dad messed with you and used his fingers to pretend to be a spider crawling on your back and neck. Your mom pinched him for scaring you. Your mom was always on your side. You snapped out of your thoughts when your dad responded and said "I think it has something to do with Marguerite, I won't let them touch you though. I know you hate them". That made you feel better. You crouched and followed your dad underneath the fireplace that lead to a door. When you stood up from being crouched your leg gave out on you and you fell down. "Fuck" you screamed and cried. That was the first time you've ever cursed before. "Y/n! Can you walk?" he asked, worriedly. You bit your lip hard and tried to get up. Your dad assisted you and helped you walk until you let go. You got back in a rhythm and were okay again. You opened the door and to your right you saw some sort of metal fencing. But what you didn't expect to see was your mom on the other side of it. "Ethan? Y/n?" you hear her say. But before you can get closer to her your dad is at the fence and saying "no more bullshit, Mia. I want some answers". "I know, I know. You're right. And I always wanted to tell you but, I just -- I can only remember a little and then the rest is just gone!" she says. Then Lucas comes up behind her and grabs her, he says "daddy right? You mind if I uh borrow mommy for a little bit?". "Mom!" you scream and grab at the fence. Lucas laughs in your face and says "you're so dead". Your mom tries to reach out for you but is dragged away. Lucas turns to your dad and says "well don't just stand there -- do something!". He then slams the door and your mom is gone. You get angry and slam on the fence and say "goddammit!". You sigh and put your head down. You look and see that the statuette is there, you hand it over to your dad. You clench your teeth and follow back the way you came. When you go to go out the kitchen door Marguerite pops up and tells you to stay out. Then spiders grow on the door and jump on your dad, you stay back and look away. He burns them down and now you can go back out of the door. You crouch to avoid being seen by Marguerite. You wait until you get an opportunity and go as fast as you can to the wall where you need to get through. Your dad does it and the wall opens up. He slides in first and you go to go in after him but you feel someone grab your shirt. It's Marguerite. "Dad!" you scream and reach out for him. He tried to grab you but Marguerite drags you off your feet and away. She laughs evilly and says "ooh Evie really doesn't like you". "Who even is Evie!?" you scream. "Oh you're a devil child, you know that?!" she screams back at you. She brings you to a different part of the house and locks you in a room. She puts the spiders on the door and you start to cry. You back as far away from them as possible. You close your eyes and curl into a ball. You're all alone and you miss your mom. You cry until you pass out. You awake when you hear the door open. "Y/n! Can you hear me?" your dad asks. You look up and nod, he then hugs you. "I took care of Marguerite for now, we have to go get the serum to help mom" he says and helps you up. You walk on a path across the hole that your dad must have found while you took a well needed nap. You saw the door with a crow on it and your dad unlocked it with a key he must have found. This attic sort of place was really creepy but you thought anything was better than bugs. You saw another phone and just as you noticed it, it rang and your dad picked it up. Afterwards your dad turned to you and said "I have to search the rest of this floor and then we can go back to the trailer and meet Zoe who has the other part we need. You stay here while I go get it" he said and you sat on the steps. "We need Marguerite's lantern to get in" he said. "So how do we get it?" you questioned him. "I guess another face off" he said. "Here I have an idea!" you said perkily. Your dad nodded for you to go on. "You stay on one side of her and I stay on the other, we both load her with bullets. Should work right?" you said. "As long as you promise to only hit her and not me" he laughed a little. "Deal" you said and shook his hand jokingly. Your dad went down the ladder and you jumped into his arms because that was easier than trying to get down with your bum leg. The hole lead to another house. You thought that Marguerite must be in there. Your dad took the lead and you walked into the house. The house was really rundown and there was grass growing inside of it. You had finally made it to a staircase and just as you were going up it Marguerite popped through the window. She was no longer in a human form. She was your worst nightmare, a spider. Your dad fired the flamethrower at her as you limped up the rest of the stairs. You shot her whenever you could but you noticed she was more after your dad than you. Why was everyone more after him than you? You didn't understand. And why did Evie not like you? You never even met her before. But now wasn't the time to think about that. You caught back up to your dad and Marguerite looked like she was almost done for. Your dad blasted the rest of his flamethrower and shotgun into her and you shot her with your gun. She fell to her knees and let out one last grumble as she turned to stone. The stone crumbled and her lantern was left behind. You took a well needed deep breath and your dad gave you a high five. "Thank bud, you were a big help" he said and you smiled at the praise. You went back to the trailer as he went to get the ingredients. When you got to the trailer, Zoe wasn't there. Something was wrong. Your dad joined you a couple minutes later and the phone rang. Your dad got on the phone and his facial expression quickly changed. After he hung up he rubbed his temples. "Lucas took them" he said. You were pissed and grabbed your gun, you said "well let's go get them back!".

To be continued...