911 Fire

MAYA'S POV

It had been one of those shifts. Chores were done, everyone had been fed, and the city was quiet. The aid car had gone out once three times and only once was serious. We all sat around the kitchen table laughing and catching up after the rest of the week being hell.

"Bishop," Andy called out. "Any more talk with Carina about kids?"

I shrugged, "I don't know. We have a lot we are still figuring out."

"Kids are tough," Ben chuckled, "Trust me. I was having trouble with the one, and then Miranda brought home another. Don't get e wrong, I love him, but kids are a lot."

"Didn't you get into a relationship with her knowing she had a son?" Miller asked.

"Yes," Ben replied, "But you cut me off. As much trouble as they are, I love them dearly. They are my favorite. Keep me young and age me at the same time."

"Okay, okay," I laughed, "Moving on. Let' leave that subject alone."

"Yes Captain," Miller laughed back at me.

I smirked. I had never really had a family. Well, I had always had a family, but we weren't loving and kids weren't something to fawn over. We were just kept to advance our fathers goals and ego. Me especially. So the group here at the station were my family. I watched them pass around a bowl of popcorn all laughing together.

"STATION 19," the speaker boomed over us, "HOUSE FIRE AT 122 VINEWOOD AVENUE."

"Let's get going," I called out standing up with the rest of the group.

"Well the peace was bound to end at some point," Andy called. "Of course at eleven pm."

"Bedtime," Miller joked.

We all were running to the trucks when Warren stopped.

Warren looked over at me, "We were at 122 Vinewood Avenue earlier tonight."

"Yeah we were," Travis called out in agreement, "Woman having heart issues. Her daughter called it in."

"Well lets get going," I yelled getting myself into a truck.

The rides to the fires were always odd. Sometimes we could spend the time joking and other times we were all serious. The ride wasn't far for us, only a few minutes out. This part of town was one where we always had complicated cases. Old wooden houses that weren't kept up lined the streets, and sparked flames quickly. The neighborhoods were full of cases with houses overrun with kids or people that shouldn't be anywhere near children. I had seen some of the most heartbreaking cases throughout my days in this neighborhood.

As we pulled up to the fire I looked around. It clearly was on the first floor and starting to spread upwards. Everyone was already unloading the trucks.

"Warren!" I yelled. "You said there were two people here earlier?"

"Yeah," He confirmed. "Can't confirm if there were more."

"Okay," I yelled, "Miller and Hughes, search and rescue."

I continued yelling out positions watching the crowd growing.

FAYE'S POV

I tried checking the time on my phone but the only thing that showed was the out of battery sign. I drew in another shaky breath, seemed to be the pattern of the night, as my eyes fluttered shut. I just wanted to go curl up in bed and try to forget about everything for just a little. There was no guide to this. I rested my head against the window of the bus and watched the neighborhood outside grow familiar.