Shock

FAYE'S POV

My mind was moving one thousand miles a minute. Maybe more like one-thousand neuron connections a minute. My family tree had grown so much in a time where it only felt like it had been shrinking. My father was Lane Bishop. I knew nothing about him and that name meant nothing to me besides he had another kid named Maya. Maya who had already saved me from a fire, offered me a place to stay, and help me out when I felt like no one would. While I had expected to have a connection to the name of my father and not having one, there had been that connection the minute I met Maya; even before I knew she was my sister.

It was still all so much. My heart was still breaking in a thousand pieces and all I wanted to do was to lock myself away and cry for the rest of time. However, there was one small piece that was gleaming and so warm knowing I had a sister. Maya was still much older than me, and seemed more like a guardian, but no matter what, she was family. Mom would be so happy about that. She would want me to be happy about that. But mom would want me to grieve her and take my time. I had so many questions, doubts, and worries about what would happen. I at least knew this truth.

"Let's go inside," Maya suggested looking down at me.

Her eyes were identical to mine: glossy and red from crying.

I smiled looking up at her as she opened the door for me as I walked in ahead of her. For the second night in a row, I was greeted by the smell of a fresh dinner. I felt hands on my shoulders, which steadied me and I looked up to see they belonged to Maya. My sister. She was my sister. I had a sister.

Maya kept her hands on my shoulders as she lead me further back into the condo to where Carina was cooking. The Italian immediately stopped what she was doing and walked over in front of us. She just kept looking between Maya and I, her face a mix of excitement and sadness. Her brown eyes were glossy and warm

"Carina," Maya spoke, her voice tired and full of emotion, "Meet my sister, Faye."

Hearing those words, my eyes once again filled with tears. Carina's did, too; she walked forward wrapping her arms around the both of us. I could hear Maya crying above me.

"Welcome to the family, bambina," Carina softly spoke, placing a hand on the back of my head.

We all pulled away. Carina was still looking between me and Maya. Maya was biting her lip as an attempt to push down the tears.

"I'll be right back," Maya announced breaking the silence, "I am going to go change."

Carina waited until Maya was out of earshot, "She is going to also go cry, I can guarantee it. She just doesn't like doing it in front of other people."

I smirked looking down at my shoes.

Carina frowned and pinched my shoulder, "And what about you? How are you feeling?"

I looked up at the brunette and started crying, "I...it's just so confusing."

"Oh bambi," Carina cooed pulling me into a hug.

I rested my head against her shoulder and let her rock me back and forth. Why was Carina one of those people that could just look at you and get every word and emotion out of you that you were feeling?

"I haven't even begun to process," I started choking, "that my mom is dead. I don't even know how. And when I do, I feel like I'm breaking. Everything feels like it's breaking."

Carina nodded placing her chin on top of my head and holding me closer.

"And feeling happy about this just is wrong," I cried, "Or it feels like it should be."