Run

MAYA'S POV

I had been in the beanery when I heard a pair of footsteps. Warren and Travis had been out on a call and the rest were down in the barn working on chores. I looked up and over my shoulder to my wife leading the teenager over. Back in her clothes from the day before and her hair pushed back, she looked more like a typical teenager. I smiled greeting them.

"How was the shower?" I asked.

"Good," Faye nodded, "I feel less grimy."

"That's good to hear," I smiled trying to reassure her.

It was clear she had been crying with her eyes slightly red shot and her face a little flushed. I looked up to Carina who shook her head verifying my suspicions were correct.

"How about some food," I suggested, breaking the awkward tension. "You must be starving. When was the last time you ate?"

"Um," Faye paused for a second, "I ate something last night."

"Well, you definitely need to eat," Carina butted in, eyeing me.

"What would you like to eat?" I asked looking at the teenager who awkwardly stood a few feet away from Carina. "Here, come take a seat."

I pointed to a few of the barstools at the island and watched Faye hesitantly walk over to one and sit down.

I opened the fridge and looked around, "So we have bread, eggs, stuff for smoothies, grilled cheese, there's some pasta. Does any of that sound good?"

Faye shrugged again.

"There is also cereal and oatmeal," I suggested knowing that was something you could usually get a teenager to eat.

"Cereal is fine," Faye shrugged.

"Okay, good choice," I smiled.

Carina had walked behind the counter and pulled out a glass, filling it with water and sat it in front of the teenager.

"Make sure you drink this," she sternly said, "You need to stay extra hydrated right now."

"Okay," Faye nodded taking a sip.

I had pulled the rice chex out of the cabinet and filled a bowl with them pouring a good amount of milk over. I reached over the counter placing it down in front of Faye, who eyed it wearingly. I rested my arms gently on the counter keeping some space from Faye as Carina sat down a stood apart form her.

"So what school are you at?" I asked Faye. "I grew up here too and high school isn't too far away for me."

"Brentwood," Faye stated.

"Ooo," I applauded her, "That's a fancy one."

"Yeah," Faye shrugged, "I just transferred for senior year, but I figured it would look better for getting into schools."

"Right on," I replied. "I went to Howard."

"Sports?" Faye asked eyeing me from a spoonful of cereal.

"Yes," I chuckled. "Track."

"Yeah," Faye sighed, "I've never been much of a runner or athlete."

Carina smirked, "I think you could have fooled each of us."

"I would like to second what Carina said," I laughed, "You've sure got some legs kid."

Faye smiled sheepishly looking back down, "I promise I am not that much of an athlete. I'm kind of just a nerd."

"If you say so bambi," Carina replied looking over to me laughing.

"I promise," Faye reassured us taking another bite and wincing.